The Pirates' Picnic
Written by Angela Mcallister
Part of the Early Reader Series
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Join Jim on a pirates' picnic in this brand-new blue Early Reader by Kate Greenaway Medal-shortlisted author, Angela McAllister.
Life is a bit glum on the bad ship Skullywag. Jim the cabin boy wants to cheer up the crew. So he plans a picnic but the gloomy crew aren’t keen at all. Picnics had never been much fun before. Things go from bad to worse when a storm capsizes their boat and leaves them without any food or pirate games. Will Jim be able to rescue the picnic and put a smile back on those grumpy pirate faces?
Blue Early Reader books are the first stepping stone to independent reading, perfect for sharing and reading together.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review another title in the Early Reader series, Twit. You can read their reviews below.
- Tracey and Robyn, age 5 - 'Robyn loved Twit...We found the story funny and engaging. The illustrations were brilliant and really helped to tell the story.' Read full review >
- Emma Johnson, age 4 - 'Emma loved reading this book together and it has really encouraged her to read harder books all on her own.' Read full review >
- Peggy Howarth, age 6 - 'I loved this book , Twit the Owl is a very sweet Owl who is a little bit dim...I have read the book six times already, I love it.' Read full review >
- Florence Bridgeman, age 4 - 'The adventure of a little owl with older brothers who like tricking him till one day he gets his own back! Perfect for little readers!' Read full review >
- James McNichol, age 4 - 'A short story about a little owl called Twit who learns to stick up for himself...Overall it’s a lovely book and good for children who are just starting to read.' Read full review >
- Elliot Bateman, age 6 - 'I liked the silly things that Twit did, like getting stuck in a hole. They were very funny.' Read full review >
- Rob (and mum), age 4 - 'A humorous story for young 'early readers' who find chapter books a little daunting.' Read full review >
- Nate Anderson, age 6 - 'I think Twit is great. I like it when Twit says "thank you for telling me to stick myself up" instead of "stick up for myself"' Read full review >
Win a Limited Edition copy of The Smartest Giant in Town!
The Smartest Giant in Town, a modern classic by the uber-talented team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler, is celebrating its 15th Anniversary.
To mark this occasion we will be giving away FIVE copies of this limited edition storybook. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 6 February 2017. The winners will be notified by 20 February 2017.
The Pirates' Picnic by Angela Mcallister
Jim the cabin boy decides that the pirates of the bad ship Scullywag need cheering up, so he suggests that they should go on a picnic. But he doesn't know that pirates' picnics are not like ordinary picnics at all. Can the Scullywag's crew avoid rain, rotten eggs and quicksand to find the perfect island to hold their party?
Early Readers from Orion Children's Books are stepping stones from picture books to reading books. A blue Early Reader is perfect for sharing and reading together. A red Early Reader is the next step on your reading journey. Each one is full colour throughout with big bold illustrations on every page.
'Early Readers are a good choice for those young readers beyond the 'beginning' stage who need the reassurance of a familiar format' - Nikki Gamble, WRITEAWAY
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by Angela Mcallister
Orion Children's Books (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Orion Publishing Co
3rd July 2014
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques