Poppy the Pirate Dog's New Shipmate
Written by Liz Kessler
Part of the Early Reader Series
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Poppy the Pirate Dog is bored and lonely. A summer of fun and adventure has ended and Poppy is home alone. Imagine her excitement when she discovers she is to have a new playmate - a new shipmate. But then George arrives and to Poppy's surprise George isn’t a puppy. He's a kitten! Will George still turn out to be the shipmate that Poppy imagined or will George make her walk the plank?
A heart-warming tale exploring new relationships and things not quite turning out as expected.
Red Early Reader books are the next step on your child's reading journey, encouraging independent reading with exciting stories and engaging illustrations. Short accessible chapters make them ideal for newly confident readers - we also think they're great for sharing too!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review another title in the Early Reader series, Algy's Amazing Adventures in the Jungle. You can read their reviews below.
- Lauren Carver, age 7 - 'This is a great book with lovely imaginative pictures and just the right size chapters for early readers. My seven year old loved Algy's full name and the adventure!' Read full review >
- Harry Gray, age 6 - 'I liked reading this book. Algy had a really good adventure. I liked that it had chapters and I would like to read another book about Algy's adventures.' Read full review >
- Stanley Howarth, age 7 - 'Great adventure story, with fantastic pictures. Algy is very funny.' Read full review >
- Libby Bridgeman, age 6 - 'A lovely book that we're hoping is the start of a series of advnetures with Algy!' Read full review >
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 6 - 'Loved it, can’t wait to find out what Algy does next.' Read full review >
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 1,000/1,000. I recommend it to people who like adventure books aged 6+. I want to read more of the Early reader books!' Read full review >
- Daniel’s mum, Cat Bisland - 'We’ve read a few books in this series and would highly recommend them as they are a great starting point for the children. They are slightly longer and are divided into chapters which is great for early readers.' Read full review >
- Nate Anderson, age 6 - 'It was funny because Algy whacked the crocodile on its head and put a stick in its mouth.' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'I read this book all by myself...There are some good pictures and the story is not too long.' Read full review >
- Ben Fallows, age 6 - 'I loved Algy. My favourite part was when Algy rescued the glasses. It was amazing and I read it all by myself.' Read full review >
Poppy the Pirate Dog's New Shipmate by Liz Kessler
Poppy is not very happy to discover that she is getting a new shipmate - a kitten called George. She's sure he'll be stealing her pirate treasure, taking her favourite spot by the fire, and generally causing trouble. What's a pirate dog to do?
Early Readers from Orion Children's Books are stepping stones from picture books to reading books. A blue Early Reader is perfect for sharing and reading together. A red Early Reader is the next step on your reading journey. Each one is full colour throughout with big bold illustrations on every page.
'Early Readers are a good choice for those young readers beyond the 'beginning' stage who need the reassurance of a familiar format' - Nikki Gamble, WRITEAWAY
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by Liz Kessler
Author's Facebook Latest
Orion Children's Books (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Orion Publishing Co
6th June 2013
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10