Here be Monsters
Written by Alan Snow
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Here Be Monsters is the inspiration behind the new Boxtrolls movie. An enormously inventive, endlessly entertaining, overwhelmingly original and astonishingly illustrated book set in the unbelievably weird world of Ratbridge. Eccentric and zany, fast-moving and funny with a Dickensian feel about it. Fans of A Series of Unfortunate Events will love it.
For information and extras about the Boxtrolls movie visit www.theboxtrolls.com
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Tyler, age 9 - 'I loved it and finished it in four days.' Read full review >
- Hannah Minton, age 8 - 'I really loved this book because it is funny and interesting at the same time.' Read full review >
- Daisy Theobald, age 12 - 'This book was really good and I really enjoyed the adventure and suspense! Arthur was my favourite character by far. I liked how the book was different from other books that I have read.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A fantastically funny and chaotically crazy adventure. Terrific!' Read full review >
- Rohan Delamere, age 9 - 'This is a funny book about a boy called Arthur who lives underground with his grandfather. When he finds out that something strange is afoot he decides to try and find out what is happening.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I think this book was really good and I enjoyed the adventure...it was really interesting and exciting.' Read full review >
Here be Monsters by Alan Snow
There's an emergency in Ratbridge! Only orphan Arthur and his new friends Willbury Nibble QC, Marjorie the inventor, a timid cabbagehead, and some very excitable boxtrolls can save the day! But are they really up to the job? Why has the evil Snatcher taken up residence in Cheese Hall? Who has stolen Marjorie's latest invention? And who knew that rats were so good at removing stains? Find out in this amazing, fun, and highly-illustrated romp!
If you're a Boxtroll fan you might also like...
Here Be Monsters kicks the imagination into overdrive with belting characters, adorable illustrations and other fantastic inventions that will keep a child's appetite for fun fully satisfied. With superb illustrations and a lavishly imaginative plot, Here Be Monsters suggests that Roald Dahl might well have a 21st century successor - and that JK Rowling could have some competition on her hands The Big Issue
Snow's drawings suggest a Dickensian town, and his caricatures with their gormless faces and his lovingly rendered machinery make this book (now a website and film) as much fun to look at as it is to read. Sunday Times
The story engages the reader quickly. It is a zany and funny story as quirky as the author's picture books ... the visual imagery is fantastic in both senses of the word. The sheer vibrant fun of the story shines throughout. School Librarian
About the Author
More books by Alan Snow
Oxford University Press
4th September 2014
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods