Archie Greene and the Magician's Secret
Written by D. D. Everest
Part of the Archie Greene Series
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2014 Debut of the Month An unexpected present, a very old book with unusual powers and a twelve-year-old with an inquisitive mind are at the heart of this exciting adventure. When Archie Greene is given a dusty old book and an instruction to visit an obscure bookshop in Oxford he soon finds he has been chosen as the apprentice to a book binder in the Museum of Magical Miscellany. Here Archie finds enchanted bookshelves, spell-weaving librarians and, above all, his own powers as a book whisperer. But there are also evil forces at work and Archie needs all his skills – human and magical – to get everyone out of trouble.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This was an amazing book about a boy who has just turned 12. One day he receives a book in the post with a set of special instructions.' Read full review >
- Matilda Greenacre, age 8 - 'A book about magical flying books!' Read full review >
- William Longlands, age 10 - 'It kept me guessing and I wanted to keep reading it 10/10.'Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'A book full of potions, magic spells, enchanted bookshelves, action and adventure. I couldn't put it down. One of the best books I have read recently. Fantastic!' Read full review >
- Jake Norton, age 10 - 'I wouldn't be surprised if Archie's adventures make it onto the big screen. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A fantastic, fantasy adventure set in an amazing magical world. I can’t wait to discover more of it!' Read full review >
- Isobel Jeffries, age 8 - 'I live in Oxford and I wish that I could visit the Museum of Magical Miscellany. I hope that this is the start of a series of books as I would like to read more about Archie Greene and his cousins.' Read full review >
- Evie Gardner, age 10 - 'This book sent tingles of excitement and wonder down my spine. It was intense and thrilling...I couldn't stop reading! One of the best books I have ever read.' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'Archie Green and the Magician’s Secret is a great book. It reminds me of Harry Potter.' Read full review >
- Ethan Douglas, age 9 - 'This is a book about a boy called Archie Greene who is the first book whisperer (someone who speaks to books) in 400 years. I enjoyed this book, it is exciting.' Read full review >
- Evie Young, age 9 - 'A magical story full of magical creatures, mysteries and adventures. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Lucy Bridges, age 8 - 'I think this book is just about suitable for my age and Archie is not expecting a mysterious package that turns up on his front door.' Read full review >
- James Harrison, age 11 - 'This book is so so so like Harry Potter it is therefore Amazing!' Read full review >
Archie Greene and the Magician's Secret by D. D. Everest
Archie Green receives a mysterious present on his birthday. Deep within an ancient wooden box he finds an old book, written in a language he doesn't recognise. With the book comes a Special Instruction - Archie must travel to Oxford to return the book to the Museum of Magical Miscellany. Soon Archie will meet family that he never knew he had, and discover the world of the Flame Keepers - a community devoted to finding and preserving magical books. But the magical book under Archie's protection is dangerous, and dark spirits hunt it out. With the help of his cousins, Archie must do everything he can to uncover the book's hidden powers and save the Flame Keepers from evil.
About the Author
Interest Age: from 9 to 11
D. D. Everest
More books by D. D. Everest
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
4th September 2014
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils