Trial by Fire
Written by Josephine Angelini
Part of the The Worldwalker Trilogy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2014 Book of the Month Fabulously different, this wonderfully exciting novel captures your imagination and allows it to soar alongside a truly captivating cast of characters. Lily Proctor, sick and traumatised, is lured into a parallel world, one where witches and magic rule over science. This magic is not cheery and sparkly but takes a toll on those able to use it; this magic feels real, alive, formidable. Lily is strong yet fragile, caring and kind yet determined; add an identical but frighteningly different Lily (Lilian), then three intriguing champions into the mix and you have a firecracker of a read. It will almost physically hurt when you turn the last page, you will be left wishing there was just one more sentence, one more paragraph, one last chapter to end this thoroughly bewitching book. Luckily this is just the first in Angelini’s new series and the rest of The Worldwalker Trilogy promises to be absolutely spellbinding. ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Amy Laws, age 13 - 'What starts of as what seems to be a teenage romance/ family story suddenly twists into a whole new world, quite literally!' Read full review >
- Jade Brown, age 13 - 'An original modern day story of science meets witchery and socery. A rollercoaster of a read of a girl called Lily who knows she is different and needs to get away before modern day sucks the life from her.' Read full review >
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'One of the most brilliant tales I've read...Lily Proctor drags us into her life which I did not want to surface from. A truly magical story.' Read full review >
- Nat, age 17 - 'A fantastic and original book full of magic, love and adventure.' Read full review >
- Megan Abbott, age 16 - 'Fast paced, adventure packed novel. Definitely a good read!' Read full review >
- Esmé Molloy, age 14 - 'If there were awards for 'Esmé's Favourite Books' (which there should be) This book would win every single one!!!! L.O.V.E.D it!' Read full review >
- Sarah Murray, age 16 - 'A must read fantasy adventure of different worlds, witches and war. This addicting first in the Worldwalker trilogy is thrilling and already has me counting down the days until the next installment.' Read full review >
- Imogen Fisher, age 14 - 'I alway like to read books with magic in them, so I enjoyed reading Trial By Fire.' Read full review >
- Thora Harrison, age 13 - 'A complicated book entwined with strangle magical myths and other oddities.' Read full review >
- Kynthia Ravikumar, age 14 - 'Trial by Fire is an original book which entails major plot twists. This book is one of few which is produced by generating many ideas and putting them together like a jigsaw.' Read full review >
- Amelia White, age 14 - 'I love this book, its amazing! I couldn't stop reading!' Read full review >
- Poppy Jeavons, age 15 - 'I thought that Trial By Fire was very well written and easy to get into. I didn't like all of the romance, but found it very hard to put down.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini
Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns. This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear. Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian ...Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences. Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected. But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy?
Angelini follows up her best-selling starcrossed trilogy with the first I an exhilarating seductive new series. The Bookseller
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Josephine Angelini
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
28th August 2014
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils