The Third Chimpanzee On the Evolution and Future of the Human Animal - for Young People
Written by Jared Diamond
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Simply and clearly told but not in the slightest simplistic, this intriguing book looks at the third chimpanzee (us…humans) and makes you really think about how we came to exist and what we are doing to ensure our existence continues. We are human, we do dangerous things, we communicate using language, we commit genocide - have you ever wondered why, when, how? Lots of answers are here, some more questions too, you don't have to read this in one go, you can pop in and out and read a chapter at a time. There are also some really interesting diverse snapshots of information scattered among the pages. You may well find yourself sharing passages of this fascinating book out loud with family and friends, as they will probably not only learn a lot but start to ponder a few significant things too! ~ Liz Robinson
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Morgan Steigmann, age 15 - 'Full of answers, questions and thoughts, the issues raised by The Third Chimpanzee will linger in your mind long after the final page is turned.' Read full review >
- Sam Moffat, age 12 - 'The facts stay in your head and I found myself telling my family about them long after I had read the book.' Read full review >
- Ewan Young, age 11 - 'An interesting and thought provoking read, great for anyone interested in the naural world.' Read full review >
- George Catton, age 9 - 'This is a great book, don't let the size put you off. It is full of great facts and is really fun and once you get into it, you can barely take your head out.' Read full review >
- Luke Bauer, age 11 - 'A beginners guide to evolution for young readers - asks lots of questions that make you think!' Read full review >
- Emily Wakefield, age 10 - 'The Third Chimpanzee is an extremely interesting book designed for people aged around eight upwards.' Read full review >
- Louis Desforges, age 13 - 'An interesting and broad book about everything from history to human relations. The vocabulary was quite challenging though and might be better for older readers.' Read full review >
The Third Chimpanzee On the Evolution and Future of the Human Animal - for Young People by Jared Diamond
The Third Chimpanzee was first published in 1991 and has been in print ever since. This new, illustrated edition is aimed at a young readership. In it, Jared Diamond explores what makes us human and poses fascinating questions including: * If we share more than 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees, how is it that we can write, read, talk, build telescopes and bombs, while we put our speechless and bomb-less close relatives in cages and zoos? * What can woodpeckers teach us about spacecraft? * Is genocide a human invention? * Why does extinction matter? * Why are we destroying the natural resources on which we depend for survival? * What hope is there for future generations? The Third Chimpanzee for Young Readers is not only a mind-boggling survey of how we came to be who we are, but a plea to the next generation to make better decisions than their parents and get us out of the mess we're in.
There are a number of videos to accompany this book - here are a selection...
'Engaging, thought-provoking and bang up to the minute. if your teachers aren't recommending books like this - go out and get them anyway.' Guy Claxton, author of What's the Point of School?
'Thoughtful readers interested in any fields related to evolutionary science, anthropology, psychology, human history, and culture will find plenty to ponder.' School Library Journal
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Jared Diamond
4th September 2014
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East