Written by Benjamin Zephaniah
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
October 2014 Book of the Month Perceptive, provocative and deeply moving, Benjamin Zephaniah tells a hard hitting story about how dangerous making one simple wrong choice can be. Rico loves computers and he is brilliant at fixing and developing them. And at hacking into sites which are meant to be fully protected. Rico also believes in protest – silent, dignified protest in which you stand up to be counted but never engage in anything violent or illegal. Rico hates trouble and does everything he can to avoid it. But Rico makes one terrible mistake when he is persuaded by a stranger to do an apparently harmless job. How can Rico prove his innocence when everything is twisted against him? Benjamin Zephaniah is wise on how easily the honesty and naivety of the young can be exploited and misused.
A Piece of Passion from Emma Matthewson, Editor-at-Large Benjamin Zephaniah's Terror Kid took quite a long time to evolve. Benjamin's original idea was about a teenager taking over the world, but as Benjamin and I discussed the book, it evolved into Terror Kid - the story of a teenage boy who is good at heart, but is also angered by the injustice he sees around him. This anger allows him to be manipulated by an unscrupulous man with a hidden agenda called, ironically Speech.
I hope that Terror Kid will make everybody who reads it want to revisit their own views on both the nature of crime and the story behind the headlines you see in the papers; and to think about why rather than how crime is committed. As I say, I hope it does. With events that we see happening around us every day it seems to be increasingly important.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- James Scaramanga, age 13 - 'This magical book shows the transformation of a genius fifteen year old into a major league terrorist...I’m usually a slow reader but this was a great book and a real page turner, which I really enjoyed reading.'
- Jake Fletcher, age 13 - 'A book written beautifully can make us think more about the world we live in. Terror Kid will shock you, scare you, and still you want to find out more.'
- Alexander Boxall, age 12 - 'This book really took me out of my comfort zone! Prior to reading Terror Kid, I guess that I have never considered the darker side of internet use. This is not Minecraft, it's a minefield of trouble!'
- Ethan Doore, age 12 - 'Once you start reading you won't put this book down. A very topical and relevant story which is fast paced and heart stopping.'
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'Brilliantly structured book, I would recommend you read it.'
- Ellen Faulkner, age 12 - 'Terror Kid is poignant and thought-provoking. Rico's struggles with the police make my struggles with my parents seem like nothing. It hit me really hard.'
- Safiyah Davenport. age 15 - 'An intriguing book with morals and a conscious, this is perfect for readers who love action, adventure and a deeper look into the world we live in.'
- Rory Faulkner, age 10 - 'a really exciting read, I was gripped and read it in only a couple of sessions.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 13 - 'I really recommend this book for anyone interested in world terrorism.'
Terror Kid by Benjamin Zephaniah
Rico knows trouble. He knows the look of it and the sound of it. He also knows to stay away from it as best he can. Because if there's one thing his Romany background has taught him, it's that he will always be a suspect. Despite his efforts to stay on the right side of the law, Rico is angry and frustrated at the injustices he sees happening at home and around the world. He wants to do something - but what? When he is approached by Speech, a mysterious man who shares Rico's hacktivist interests, Rico is given the perfect opportunity to speak out. After all, what harm can a peaceful cyber protest do...?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 13
More books by Benjamin Zephaniah
Author's Facebook Latest
Hot Key Books
28th August 2014
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans