Written by John Agard
Illustrated by Neil Packer
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Tells us the story of the book! Told by none other than Book himself, this work begins with stories told from person to person, to writings on clay tablets to the development of parchment, right up to modern day and the ebook. But Book's not a straightforwardly chronological chap; he can't help musing - and his musings, whether they're on the evolution of the alphabet, libraries, book-burning or blurbs, are delightful and thought-provoking. Years of reflection and observation have gone into this charming title - John Agard signed the contract with Walker 16 years ago! Written by the winner of the 2012 Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry, this is an utterly original, unique story of the book.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Adiella Norridge, age 10 - 'BOOK is a fun history of the book (or the story) from its beginnings in the ancient world to the ebooks of today.' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 11 - 'I love this book because I've always liked books but not known their history. This books tells you.' Read full review >
- William longlands, age 10 - '10/10 - Very, very, very informative and well written.' Read full review >
- William’s Mum - 'A whimsical book which is as interesting for adults as for children.' Read full review >
- Traviss Chaytors, age 11 - 'A fun and easy way to learn about the books we read…' Read full review >
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 10 - 'Book is about the history of books and told by Book himself!I like this book because it is original, there is no other book like it. I also think the title is clever and it made me want to read the book.' Read full review >
Book by John Agard
Quirky and humorous, part poetry, part reflection, this is the story of the book told by none other than Book himself! This extraordinary character begins by reminding us of his origins in oral story and clay tablets, then ponders on papyrus, parchment and paper, and on being a scroll who finally gets a spine. We see him lovingly illuminated by monks in medieval monasteries, then witness the massive changes brought about by the invention of the printing press, and the coming of paperbacks and e-books in the 20th century.
It is written by the winner of the 2012 Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry. It is full of poems and quotations from book-ish people like Carol Ann Duffy (Poet Laureate), Malorie Blackman (Children's Laureate), Andrew Carnegie, Brecht, Borges - even Bill Gates!
It features black and white drawings by Neil Packer, acclaimed illustrator of Gillian Cross' The Odyssey.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by John Agard
Walker Books Ltd
2nd October 2014
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7