Written by C. J. Flood
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of The Branford Boase Award 2014.
Shot through with danger as adolescence can be, this is a powerful coming of age novel which combines dark realities with optimism and naivety. When Iris’s mother takes off on a road trip, things at home begin to fall apart. The arrival of a family of travellers close by sets off a chain of events which leads to tragedy. But Iris sees Trick and his family differently; she knows he isn’t the boy his is made out to be. But, when everything spirals out of control, will she ever be able to feel the same about him? Beautifully written, this is a poignant story of young love from a talented new author.
Infinite Sky is one of the books I’m most excited about publishing next year. Simply and beautifully written, it’s the heart-breaking story of the summer Iris experiences love and loss for the first time.
Starting as it ends, with a funeral, Infinite Sky keeps us guessing about the identity of the boy Iris is left mourning – is it her tearaway brother, Sam, or Trick, her tentative new boyfriend? The conclusion is devastating, and will make you cry. A stunning read from a really talented new author -whose writing reminds me of early Meg Rosoff and David Almond - this is a book to fall in love with. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- Longlisted for the Carnegie Medal 2014 - Shortlisted for the Leeds Book Awards 2014, 14-16 age category - One of our Must Reads of 2013.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice D'Angelo - 'C J Flood weaves an intricate basket carrying the soul of the story, in a thought provoking yet natural way, bringing up subjects that are so often avoided...' Read full review >
- Safiyah (15) - 'It is un-put-down-able and thrilling book, perfect for readers who enjoy a good plot and interesting characters.' Read full review >
- Chloe Sheehan - 'This book is a heart-wrenching novel it has many twists and turns and leaves you hungry for more.' Read full review >
- Heather Cranmer - 'The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl ...a sweet coming of age story that is beautifully written and tugs at your heartstrings... should be a future classic.' Read full review >
- Izzy Read - 'Wow. A mixture of love and family with a harsh kick of reality. It really is an outstanding read.' Read full review >
- Eloise Greenberry - 'I can truthfully say that I haven’t read a book as good as this in a while and I am sure it will be a while before I read a book as good as this again...' Read full review >
- Emily Gleave - 'I found the book really interesting, and quite hard to put down ...' Read full review >
- Ayesha Afghan Infinite sky is a truly magnificent book that is filled with love, anger and adventure!... Click here to read the full review. Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Infinite Sky by C. J. Flood
Winner of the Branford Boase award 2014 A truly beautiful book about the summer that changed one girl's life - one in which her mum leaves home, travellers set up camp in the family's field, her older brother goes off the rails, and she falls in love for the very first time. Opening with a funeral, Iris is mourning the boy in the casket - but who is it? Sam, her tearaway brother, or Trick, her tentative boyfriend? Over one long hot summer, we find out just how their three lives were turned upside-down.
'Every character is drawn with sympathy, economy and assurance'
'Loved by young adult journalists, CJ Flood's debut novel is also a burgeoning hit among adult readers'
'A beautiful, delicate debut'
... I love how the place and the 'natural world
... I love the romance - how it's more than a romance, really, and not at all sentimental or typical. Simmone Howell, author of Notes from the Teenage Underground I loved Infinite Sky. Thanks for introducing me to a fantastic new author. Keith Gray, author of Ostrich Boys C.J. Flood has hit upon a timely topic. Interest in the travelling community gathers momentum, and this is a serious story that asks some brave questions. We Love This Book Strong debut...She's one to watch. The Bookseller A beautifully written, poignant account of first love, so full of delightfully recognisable moments, it will have grown-ups welling up. The Irish Time, Gloss magazine Exceptionally good. From the first sentence... the story grips you... Moving, open-ended and remarkable. -- Nicolette Jones Sunday Times Culture
About the Author
Interest Age: From 11
C. J. Flood
More books by C. J. Flood
Simon & Schuster Ltd
14th July 2014
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10