Worst in Show
Written by William Bee
Illustrated by Kate Hindley
Lovereading4kids Price £9.59
£11.99 saving £2.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A Best Pet Monster Competition seems like the perfect place for Albert to show off Sidney, his beloved Pet Monster. But Sidney is unlike anyone else’s pet…He is not full of parasites; extremely warty or the owner of very hot breath. In fact, Sidney is beautifully clean, has no warts and lots of freckles and no intention of hovering or being the in way at all. At every round Sidney is an utter failure! But can he and Albert come home with a prize after all? A witty look at different measures of success.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Finley Mcmaster, age 3 and mum - 'when Finley asks to read a book, again the next night, a sure sign that it has captured his interest. This was a well written, amusing book that offered something a little different.'
- Eleanor Haines, age 2 (with some help from mummy) - 'What a wonderful, funny book...There's plenty going on on each page to keep even small children's interest. And what child doesn't like a book with a fold out page?'
- Thomas Davies, age 8 - 'With lots of great illustrations, this is a funny book that must be read and shared with brothers and sister.'
- Tom Parker, age 4 & Mum - 'We loved the illustrations and it was sufficiently gross to capture the imagination of my four year old!'
- Nicola and Ruby(age 5) Laverty - 'We have read this book over and over. We loved it more with each reading and noticed more each time.'
- Kian Banks, age 4 and mum - 'The book is beautifully illustrated and my son was highly entertained by the illustrations. The story was very funny and very heart warming. I would thoroughly recommend this book.'
- Cara Anderson, age 9 - 'I think Worst in Show is a very funny book. All the competitions the monsters have (like the fart competition) are funny, and some are revolting.'
- Nate Anderson - 'I liked the bit about farts.'
- Emma Johnson, age 5 - 'This book was so funny, she couldn't wait to take it into school to share it with her class!'
Worst in Show by William Bee
William Bee celebrates every kind of monster - warts and all! - in this hilarious, raucous tale about competition, friendship and finding your own unique place in the world.
Albert is entering his pet monster, Sidney, in...THE BEST PET MONSTER IN THE WORLD COMPETITION! And he has VERY high hopes, Sidney, however, is a rather gentle monster, who enjoys long soaks in bubble-filled baths while nibbling on some sugary fairy cakes. And a champion monster has to be, well, MONSTROUS to win - they must be able to FLY, FULL of PARASITES, super SMELLY, extremely WARTY and FIERCELY FIRE-BREATHING! Round after round, Sidney tries his hardest, but Albert soon begins to realise that Sidney's best talent might not be a very 'monstrous' one after all...
Kate Hindley's illustration debut to the Walker picture book list brings William Bee's warm-hearted comedy to life with sensational verve and wit! It features an action-packed full-bleed gatefold. With ever-calamitous (and gross!) competition scenarios and lots of witty one-liners, this original and inventive picture book is destined to belong in all collections!
About the Author
Interest Age: From 3
More books by William Bee
Walker Books Ltd
1st September 2014
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods