Written by Scott Westerfeld
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A clever, stimulating novel painting a picture of first loves and first drafts. Darcy, at eighteen, moves to New York City after her book wins a publishing deal. As her story unfolds, with writers block and deadlines galore, we also read her book, ‘Afterworlds’ in alternating chapters. As Darcy learns about herself and the intricacies of the publishing world, so her book evolves before us. Death haunts Darcy’s book, sometimes in graphic detail, so the light touches of wit that float across the pages are refreshing. Inventive and artful, Westerfeld displays a deft touch, is Darcy writing the book or is the book helping to write Darcy? ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Lauren Coffman, age 14 - 'I really loved this book. It was really captivating and exciting throughout and I honestly couldn't put it down. I would highly recommend it!' Read full review >
- Jenny Duffy, age 21 - - 'Overall I felt this was an enjoyable read, and would recommend it for people interested in getting an insight into the writing and publishing of YA.' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth, age 15 - 'a creative clash of emotion that ensnared ones every breath in its strong grip.' Read full review >
- Emily Kinder, age 14 - 'This amazing book mixes genres flawlessly. It's half dark, pacey thriller and half bildungsroman, as Darcy pens a mythic romance, and while doing so meets her first love.' Read full review >
- Sarah Murray, age 16 - 'The only thing better than one great book is one great book inside a fantastic book!!! This was so original and exciting.' Read full review >
Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
Darcy Patel has put college and everything else on hold to publish her teen novel, Afterworlds. Arriving in New York with no apartment or friends she wonders whether she's made the right decision until she falls in with a crowd of other seasoned and fledgling writers who take her under their wings...Told in alternating chapters is Darcy's novel, a suspenseful thriller about Lizzie, a teen who slips into the 'Afterworld' to survive a terrorist attack. But the Afterworld is a place between the living and the dead and as Lizzie drifts between our world and that of the Afterworld, she discovers that many unsolved - and terrifying - stories need to be reconciled. And when a new threat resurfaces, Lizzie learns her special gifts may not be enough to protect those she loves and cares about most.
About the Author
More books by Scott Westerfeld
Author's Facebook Latest
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
25th September 2014
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale