The Hero Pup
Written by Megan Rix
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - October 2014 Book of the Month Can training Patch, a loveable Labrador puppy, help Joe find some happiness after the death of his father? Joe and his dad have always wanted a dog but, when his dad is killed Joe can’t see how they will ever have one. But then Joe meets Patch at Helper Dogs and he knows that this is just the dog for him! Joe needs to train Patch to make him a useful companion to someone in need. Joe is sure he can do it. But can Patch also help Joe as he overcomes the rawness of his grief after his father is killed? A moving story about a very special relationship between one boy and a pup.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review The Bomber Dog which is also by Megan Rix. You can read their reviews below.
- Lee Dobinson, age 10 - 'If you enjoy war stories you’ll love reading about what life was like for animals that were used during WWII. Megan Rix has written a winner here.' Read full review >
- Mollie O’Loghlen, aged 10 - ' I give it 5 stars and have recommended it to all my friends.' Read full review >
- Alice D'Angelo, age 14 - 'I sped through this book and soon lost consciousness of turning the pages and became part of the flow of the story.' Read full review >
- Adam Graham, age 10 - 'This book is a gripping story about a man named Nathan and his beloved dog Grey who are almost inseparable even though they have only been together for a matter of weeks.' Read full review >
- James Goodall, age 9 - 'A brave journey across a war torn country - how far would you go for friendship? This book is so cool...I recommend you read it!' Read full review >
- Benjy Randall - 'The Bomber Dog is a super exciting book...I was totally absorbed in the story and found myself reading it at every opportunity - even when I was doing my teeth! Overall I really loved the book and would definitely recommend it - it is probably one of my top choices this year so far. I am planning to read Megan Rix's other books as soon as I possibly can!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 9 a perfect mix of heart warming friendship and thrilling adventure. I've never read anything like it and it has inspired me to learn more about the lives of military dogs during the war. I can't wait to read Megan Rix's other books but, in the mean time, I'll be reading this fantastic book again! Read full review >
The Hero Pup by Megan Rix
Patch is a yellow Labrador puppy in need of a home this Christmas. 11-year-old Joe is dreading the holidays - his first Christmas without Dad. It will never be the same again. But then mum tells Joe about the Helper Dog Training programme. Can Joe adopt Patch for six months, give him a home and teach him to become a Helper Dog? But what about when it comes to saying goodbye?
Megan Rix is a dog-lover and professional dog-handler and uses her own extensive experience to write wonderful doggie books. You may also like to read The Bomber Dog, a heroic war dog in World War Two, A Soldier's Friend, a tale of friendship between a cat and dog set in the First World War...and The Victory Dogs set in the Blitz.
If you love Michael Morpurgo, you will enjoy this Express
A moving tale told with warmth, kindliness and lashings of good sense that lovers of Dick King-Smith will especially appreciate The Times
Every now and then a writer comes along with a unique way of storytelling ... Meet Megan Rix. Her novels are deeply moving and will strike a chord with animal lovers LoveReading
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Megan Rix
Author's Facebook Latest
Puffin Books an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
2nd October 2014
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10