Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy
Written by Karen Foxlee
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
October 2014 Debut of the Month The Marvellous Boy has been a good companion to the King. But, when the King marries the evil and wintery Queen, his life is changed forever. The Marvellous Boy is locked up in a huge museum where he remains undiscovered until Ophelia Jane Worthington-Whittard, a girl who only believes in scientific explanations, visits with her father. Luckily, Ophelia puts her scientific doubts to one side as she comes to the rescue of the lonely boy who has a very big mission to play in life.
A Piece of Passion from Sarah Odedina, Managing Director How lovely it is to read a book with a truly wonderful and plucky heroine. Someone who doesn't find it at all easy to be heroic but who rises so wonderfully to the challenge when faced with the plight of someone such as the Marvellous Boy. How wonderful to read a book with family at its heart and about the importance of caring and taking responsibility. And how delightful to read a book that is simply, so beautifully told. Karen Foxlee's voice is perfect. She is serious and sombre and playful and clever and in this small but perfectly formed book she has written a classic story that makes a reader feel courageous and brave and just a bit clever when reading it. It is a small gem of a book that will take a big place in the heart and imagination of those who read it.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice & Isaac East, age 10 & 8 - 'The story was exciting and I wanted to read more and more to find out what was going to happen next. As there were so many cliffhangers I couldn't put this book down.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 11 - 'This book was very good and I loved reading it because it was a real page turner.' Read full review >
- Daniel Harrison, age 8 - 'I would definitely read another adventure by this writer because this book was so exciting.' Read full review >
- Poppy, age 15 - 'I thought that Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy was very enjoyable and had a good plot, it kept the same pace throughout and was easy to get into. It had good strong characters and a great feel.' Read full review >
- Amelie Chatham, age 11 - 'This is the story of friendship between two worlds seperated only by the door with the golden keyhole.' Read full review >
- Luke Bauer, age 11 - 'Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy is a really good book - I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end. Everyone of all ages will love to read this. Once you pick it up you'll never be able to put it down.' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'A lovely fairy tale about an eleven year old girl who finds a boy in a locked room. She doesn't think she is brave, but it turns out that she is and she battles a snow queen. I loved this book.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This story is packed full of magic and mystery. An amazing, exciting adventure which gripped me from start to finish. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Abigail Smart, age 12 - 'Karen Foxlee is a brilliant author and she managed to keep me in Ophelia's shoes and truly feel what she must be feeling throughout the whole book. I loved reading this book.' Read full review >
- Adiella Norridge, age 10 - 'A well paced fairy tale following Ophelia as she tries to rescue a prisoner of the Snow Queen.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I really enjoyed reading this book it was really good. It was perfect for me becuse the words weren't to hard or to easy to read they were perfect.' Read full review >
Ophelia and the Marvellous Boy by Karen Foxlee
Eleven-year-old Ophelia might not be brave, but she certainly is curious. Her family are still reeling from her mother's death, and in a bid to cheer everyone up, her father has taken a job at a fantastically enormous and gothic museum in a city where it never stops snowing. Ophelia can't wait to explore - and she quickly discovers an impossibility. In a forgotten room, down a very dark corridor, she finds a boy, who says he's been imprisoned for three-hundred-and-three-years by an evil Snow Queen who has a clock that is ticking down towards the end of the world. A sensible girl like Ophelia doesn't quite believe him, of course, but there's no denying he needs her help. There are many other, darker, impossibilities in this museum too. Ghosts, wolves, Misery Birds, magical swords - and even fabled Snow Queens - will all do their very best to stop Ophelia and hurt her family. She will have to garner all her courage, strength and cleverness if she is to rescue this most Marvellous Boy - and maybe even save the world in the process.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Karen Foxlee
Author's Facebook Latest
Hot Key Books
6th February 2014
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East