The Matchbox Mysteries
Written by Sally Gardner
Illustrated by David Roberts
Part of the The Fairy Detective Agency Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - November 2014 Book of the Month Jam-packed tales full of hilarity, excitement and fun but this latest in the Wings and Co. series from Sally Gardner, winner of the Costa Book Award 2013, and acclaimed artist, David Roberts is even more mashed up than usual. It sounds like a case for Wings & Co, the famous fairy detective agency when a giant bunny, out of control broomstick and magically shrinking cars are causing chaos! So can the Wings and Co. detectives of Emily, Budget and Fidget put a stop to this magical mischief before it's too late? Perfect for all young readers looking for a thoroughly engaging read.
If you loved David Walliams's Gangsta Granny, you'll love these hilarious tales of mischief, mayhem, magic and mystery.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading4kids expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the Wings and Co series, Operation Bunny. You can read their reviews below.
- Nadine Kelly , age 11, St. Colm’s High School, Draperstown, Northern Ireland - 'This story is really exciting. It is beautifully illustrated and I loved the nice short chapters...I look forward to more stories by Sally Gardner, she is such a good author.' Read full review >
- Erica Motoc, age 7 - 'The book is very good so I could not take my eyes of the words...I like the story because of its funniness. I think the author took a long time to write and out the work it out.' Read full review >
- James Wood, age 7 - 'I've read some of Sally Gardner's other books, such as the boy with the lightning feet, and this one is really good too. It is a good and interesting story with some very funny bits.' Read full review >
- Iris Pritchard-Williams, age 8 - 'I think the story was very exciting, I thought the writer of Operation Bunny had a good imagination because there was made up stuff, that was really amazing.' Read full review >
- Raspberry, age 6 - 'I recommend this book to people who like magic and solving mysteries.' Read full review >
- Grace Phelan, age 7 - 'An exciting book that makes you want to be a detective yourself when you grow up.' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'Funny, magical and exciting, Operation Bunny is a great story that would appeal to all fans of the weird and wonderful!' Read full review >
- Cait Galbraith, age 8 - 'A thrilling fairytale about fairies, bunnies and cats. I would highly recommend this book.' Read full review >
- Amisha McCrystal, age 12 - St. Colm's High School - 'a magical book full of wonderful things, such as, bunnies, moving houses, fairies, large talking cats and a pair of mischievous keys...I would definitely read another Sally Gardner novel.' Read full review >
- Alisha Boyce, age 10 - 'I like this book because it`s got my favourite animal in, BUNNYS and they are all pink which is my favourite Colour. It`s a good and exciting book.' Read full review >
- Caroline Randall (mum to Lauren)- 'silly language but an overly laborious story line that did not capture her attention.' Read full review >
The Matchbox Mysteries by Sally Gardner
It's Hallowe'en and Podgy Bottom is in trouble. All over town cars are being shrunk to the size of a matchbox in the blink of an eye; a giant purple bunny rabbit is running riot and a strange-looking broomstick is causing chaos and calamity...
Sally Gardner successfully combines magic and a touch of fairy tale with a contemporary feel in this charming adventure story. The story moves at a fast pace but for me the delightful characters are the most enjoyable aspect of the book. The quirky illustrations by David Roberts are very much a part of the success of this book fitting the style of the story perfectly and bringing the characters to life. The short chapters and the many illustrations ensure that the book will appeal to newly independent readers but the use of language, wit, catchphrases and world play mean that this story would work well read aloud too. Emily and her gang are great fun and this series deserves to be a success. -- Anne Thompson thebookbag.co.uk
Wonderfully imaginative, full of quirky humour and delightfully illustrated. www.parentsintouch.co.uk
this is just as good as the first book. There's so much fun and silliness here and once again David Roberts illustrations are pitched perfectly. I think Sally Gardner has a real winner with this series. Younger readers will love it and parents won't mind reading it aloud either. Now, let's hope there's another one coming out soon. -- J E Towey www.jetowey.com
Absolutely charming angelsandurchins.co.uk
I'd forgotten about the keys with feet, which are important in this clever detective story where there are some fairies missing their wings, fairies whose identities are surprising. NAYU'S READING CORNER
This is a touching story that had me laughing out loud. I highly recommend this book, it is so much fun! Bookbabblers blog
One of the most charming and quirky series for young readers around -- Fiona Noble The Bookseller'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by Sally Gardner
Author's Facebook Latest
Orion Children's Books (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Orion Publishing Co
23rd October 2014
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen