The Earth is Singing
Written by Vanessa Curtis
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
February 2015 Book of the Month Of the many stories of the Holocaust, that of the Jews of Riga in Latvia is among the less well known. This book tells their story for young people, clearly and honestly, emphasising its importance and relevance to us all. Discovering that her great-grandmother had come from Riga in the early 1900s inspired Vanessa Curtis to find out what happened to those relatives who stayed: Jewish, their fate was the worst imaginable. She describes those terrible times through the eyes of 15 year old Hanna, a normal, lively teenager, with a handsome boyfriend. Readers will find it easy to identify with Hanna, which makes her account of what happens to her even more affecting. The story ends on a note of hope for Hanna, and is a powerful tribute to all the Latvian victims of the Nazis. ~ Andrea Reece
The Earth is Singing is Vanessa’s first historical novel, which she was inspired to write when she discovered her own Jewish Latvian heritage.
Vanessa says: 'The story of the Jews of Riga is not widely known. After finding out that my great-grandmother was born there, but came over to England at the turn of the twentieth century, I began to wonder what happened to the Jewish friends and relatives that she had left behind. I visited the Riga Ghetto Museum and saw photographs of many of the thousands of Jews who perished at the hands of the Nazis in 1941. Their eyes seemed to be telling me to relate their story, so that is what I did. I am delighted that Usborne have given me the opportunity to bring this story to a wider audience.'
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Cara Mcilroy, age 14 - 'An amazing book that I couldn't put down. It makes you think hard about what children had to endure just because they were Jews!'
- Amy Laws, age 13 - 'This book is amazing, I really enjoyed it. The author really describes what it was like to live in a Nazi society, just before World War Two, as a Jew.'
- Louisa Cunliffe, age 17 - 'A true treasure of a book that will stay with you long after you finish the final page...a must read.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, not many books leave me speechless but this did.'
- Farah Alam, age 19 - 'Overall, this book was really good and, has made me interested in reading more of the author's work.'
- Edel Waugh - 'a remarkable well told story that both astonishes and is heartbreaking while being beautiful written...I recommend this book for any fans of Anne Frank. Unforgettable and touching!'
- Delilah Acworth - 'The writing was brilliant and terrible in equal measures, it presented such a painful subject in quite a soothing way before completely tearing the reader apart with its harsh realities. A definite recommendation.'
- Monisah Ali, age 16 - 'The Earth is Singing was a beautiful, empowering book with a storyline so powerful, it’s enough to make anyone emotional. It was so capturing, you won’t be able to turn the pages fast enough!
- Nia, age 17 - 'Heartbreaking, emotional, stunning...This truly heart wrenching story was dealt with truth and respect, producing a stunning book that I strongly recommend everyone to read.'
- Ieva Galinauskaite, age 14 - 'I really enjoyed reading about Hanna’s life and I would recommend this book to my friends.'
- Phoebe - 'A truly amazing story and a book that I would definitely recommend. Thumbs up to Vanessa Curtis on magnificent masterpiece!'
The Earth is Singing by Vanessa Curtis
My name is Hanna. I am 15. I am Latvian. I live with my mother and grandmother. My father is missing, taken by the Russians. I have a boyfriend and I'm training to be a dancer. But none of that is important any more. Because the Nazis have arrived, and I am a Jew. And as far as they are concerned, that is all that matters. This is my story.
Before the war, fifteen-year-old Hanna used to spend her days attending the ballet school in Riga and daydreaming about her boyfriend Uldis. But now her father is missing, taken away by Soviet Forces and no one knows what lies ahead.
When the Nazis invade, they enforce bewildering and brutal new rules on the Jews of Riga, and Hanna must fight to keep what is left of her family together as they are commanded to move into the ghetto with 30,000 others. Faced with the prospect of losing her mother and grandmother forever, Hanna is pushed to her limits in a horrifying world where the smallest choices could mean life or death.
Take a virtual tour of the Riga Ghetto, find information about the Holocaust, Nazi Germany and the Second World War, and discover more about Judaism with Usborne Quicklinks. Go to www.usborne.com/quicklinks and enter the keywords “The Earth is Singing”.
About the Author
Interest Age: 14+
More books by Vanessa Curtis
Usborne Publishing Ltd
27th January 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi