The Winter Horses
Written by Philip Kerr
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Chosen as one of the Top Ten Best New Books for Children 2015 by Andrea Reece. - January 2015 Book of the Month I had never heard of Przewalskis horses until I read this book (they do in fact have an entry in Creaturepedia). The last descendants of an ancient breed, they live on the Ukrainian nature reserve Askaniya-Nova which is where this story begins. It’s wartime and a troop of SS soldiers have been sent to destroy the horses, as ‘a biologically unfit species’. Kalinka, a young girl orphaned by the war takes it on herself to lead the last two horses to safety. What follows is a gripping story of courage and resolve, an unusual animal story that is even more affecting because it includes real life events. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Benedict Simpson, age 12 - 'The Winter Horses is an interesting and exciting book, which would appeal to older boys and girls, especially those who like animals.' Read full review >
- Rachel Galbraith, age 9 - 'A Fantastic way to see a World War through the eyes of a child.' Read full review >
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 10 - 'I loved this book, it was very well written and made me really feel the emotions of the characters...Truly a good read.' Read full review >
- Elle Cogan, age 11 - 'The amazing story of Kalinka and her mission to save two wild horses will have you hooked within the first few pages.'
- Lucie Harrison, age 11 - 'A tale packed with friendship and facts on WW2 in Ukraine.' Read full review >
- Calum Stillie, age 11 - 'Although tense and traumatic at times, The Winter Horses has a heartwarming ending and I would recommend this book for girls and boys.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 11 - 'This book was amazing, I truly loved it however it was really sad and made me want to cry. Philip Kerr is a great author. I now want to own a Przewaski horse.' Read full review >
The Winter Horses by Philip Kerr
A breathtaking tale of survival set in Ukraine during the dark days of WWII. Based on true events, a young girl must set out on a treacherous journey through the frozen Ukrainian forest to save the only two surviving horses and herself. This sensitive, inspiring tale captures the power of sacrifice, the endurance of the human spirit and the astonishing loyalty of animals. It will soon be another cold winter in the Ukraine. Max, the devoted caretaker of a wildlife reserve, must learn to live with the Nazis who have overrun his land. He must also learn to keep secrets - for there is a girl, Kalinka, who is hiding in the park. Kalinka has lost her home, her family, her belongings - everything but her life. Still, she has gained one small, precious gift: a relationship with the rare wild and wily Przewalski's horses that wander the reservation. Apart from Max, these endangered animals are her only friends - until a Nazi campaign of extermination nearly wipes them out for good.
The story is based on true events. The rare, wild and wily Przewalski horses are genetically different from today's horses and were seen as inferior to the Nazi's thoroughbreds. Courageous characters and remarkable animals will appeal to readers of The Book Thief and War Horse.
Fast-paced action and interesting history keep readers turning the pages... Kirkus Reviews
Like the best stories told around a campfire, it is spllbinding... School Library Journal
About the Author
Interest Age: From 11
More books by Philip Kerr
Author's Facebook Latest
Walker Books Ltd
1st January 2015
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7