Charlie Cook's Favourite Book
Written by Julia Donaldson
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The 10th anniversary of this gem from the prize-winning creators of The Gruffalo. There are lots of reading jokes in this book within a book, within a book: pirates and robbers settle down with their favourite stories and the Three Bears discover Goldilocks reading their favourite book (after having eaten their porridge, of course). It’s all written in bubbly rhyming verse matched with vigorous illustrations which make extensive play of the central joke.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Monty Benton, age 6 - 'This book is fantastic and very clever. Each page leads to another story!'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'It is hard to believe it is a 10 year old story, it seems as fresh as any modern day fairy story that we read.'
- Jamie Simmons, age 4 - 'An amusing rhyming short story which took our imaginations wandering...'
- Emma Johnson, age 5 - 'Wonderful to have a new copy of one of our much loved and favourite books!'
- Heidi Agnew, age 6 - 'I read it to my brother who is 2 years old. He liked the dragon on the front cover.'
- Ellen Hall, age 5 - 'I love this book because all of the tales are really good. I especially like the ghost story.'
- Robyn Chorley, age 6 - 'Robyn loved this book especially the way each book was within another book right the way to the end. "It did make my mind go a bit bonkers trying to follow it!" In a good way.'
- Finley Mcmaster, age 3 - 'Finley and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, we have read it every night since it was received.'
- Liam Hill, age 5 - 'Crocodiles, Pirates, frogs and aliens. they are all my favourite.... I love the ginormous cake and the spaceman who gets a slice of the cake. Everything rhymes!'
- Zara Kemal, age 8 - 'Charlie Cook’s Favourite Book is a fairytale full of pirates, knights and dragons! I would recommend the book to other children who like fairytales and adventure.'
- Darcey Mcilroy, age 7 - 'This book is a fantastic book which made me laugh. I loved looking at all the pictures and finding the little characters with my mummy.'
- Huxley Glen, age 4 - 'This was a very good book, really colourful illustrations which really brought the story to life.'
- Rebecca Urquhart, age 5 and her mum Alison - 'I think this book is good because it is funny and has lots of different stories in it.'
- Matthew Wilson, age 7 - 'A book in a book in a book in a book...'
Charlie Cook's Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson
Charlie Cook is reading a book about a pirate captain, who is reading a book about Goldilocks, who is reading about a knight, who is reading about a frog ...From kings and queens to aliens and ghosts, there's something for everyone in Charlie's amazing book! Entertaining and original, this book about books has been delighting parents and children alike for ten years and has sold over a million copies worldwide.
From the award-winning team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, creators of The Gruffalo and one of the most successful picture book partnerships ever, this limited edition 10th anniversary edition comes complete with early drawings from Axel's sketchbook and a shiny foiled cover.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 3
More books by Julia Donaldson
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
1st January 2015
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14