The Shark-Headed Bear-Thing
Written by Barry Hutchison
Illustrated by Chris Mould
Part of the Benjamin Blank Series Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Hideous monsters, an ill-assorted band of comrades, life-or-death situations, and the odd magic item – who doesn’t love a quest story? Benjamin Blank and his friends Paradise Little and Wesley Chant are off to battle the Shark-Headed Bear-Thing terrorising their area – some of them with more enthusiasm than others. Can they defeat the monster? Will they discover unexpected reserves of strength and heroism? Will a portal into another world open and send a boiled egg travelling fast enough to break the sound barrier? You betcha! Barry Hutchinson packs a satisfying story, and some very funny situation comedy, into just 224 pages, amply illustrated with Chris Mould’s appealing and expressive illustrations. An absurdist adventure that will be gobbled up by kids! ~ Andrea Reece
Kirsty from Nosy Crow says: "One minute you're laughing, the next your hair's standing on end. A brilliant mixture of the comic and the completely terrifying – something for everyone, in fact!"
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'Love, Love, Love this book, so different and I can’t wait for more like it.'
- Brodie Greenslade, age 9 - 'The Shark-Headed-Bear-Thing is the hilarious tale of useless wizards, unlikely heroes and some very unusual monsters.'
- Caitlin Hill, age 7 - 'An exciting and funny book about a monster fighter who has never fought a monster, a wizard who was kicked out of wizard school and a girl that gets to places taking the long way round!'
- James Wood, age 7 - 'This is one of the best books I've ever read. It's really funny and there aren't any boring bits. I think other children my age would love to read it.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'Great illustrations. A good adventure. We loved Tavish and wished the story had more of his contraptions.'
- Toby Pickering, age 8 - 'An entertaining tale of a young boy’s adventure to save the Mayor from The Shark-Headed Bear-Thing!'
- Matthew Wilson, age 7 - 'Funny and Awesome.'
The Shark-Headed Bear-Thing by Barry Hutchison
In an alternate 15th century, where dragons roam, sailing ships transform into submarines, and blacksmiths build steampunk robots, ten-year-old orphan Benjamin Blank battles monsters, rescues maidens and discovers fantastic new lands, but never quite manages to get his homework handed in on time. Each adventure sees Ben and his friends, Paradise Little and Wesley Chant, face a new monstrous menace.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Barry Hutchison
Author's Facebook Latest
Nosy Crow Ltd
5th February 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11