Barry Loser and the Case of the Crumpled Carton
Written by Jim Smith
Part of the Barry Loser Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
February 2015 Series of the Month - Barry Loser What to say about the Barry Loser series to recommend it to the uninitiated? Well, if burps, characters with smelly breath, bogey-eating schoolboys and poo jokes make you double up, then these books are absolutely for you. Barry Loser is a real winner as far as six to eight year olds are concerned, even the most reluctant of readers. Divided into short chapters and full of Jim Smith’s distinctive cartoon style illustrations the books are easy reads that deliver every time. In this new story Barry’s baby brother Desmond Loser the Second is making his life difficult, while outside the home Barry is set on getting his hands on a can of the new drink, Tears of Granny Laughter. Jim Smith writes juvenile farce par excellence – ‘salute the keelness!’ as Barry would say. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading4kids expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in this series, Barry Loser: I am Not a Loser.
- Evie Hollingshead, age 10 - 'Brilliant, funny book! If you love books that make you giggle then you must read this. Barry Loser and another boy Darren are always playing tricks on each other and get competitive. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Alex Bateman, age 8 - 'it is hilarious. Barry does silly things and his granny has a really weird haircut.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Fun, frolics and lots of poo, Barry Loser is hysterically funny. If you love Tom Gates, Wimpy Kid and Timmy Failure, you'll love these too. They're absolutely fantastic!' Read full review >
- Milind Kowsik, age 7 - 'I like the way the author has made you laugh with funny words and silly pictures.This book is a brilliant book, I am going to read all of Barry's books!' Read full review >
- Isla Moore, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed this book because it is about a young boy who is definitely not a loser, which I found very funny.' Read full review >
- Daniel Aconley, age 11 - 'A good, funny book. The illustrations were brilliant.' Read full review >
- Daniel Harrison, age 8 - 'I liked this book because it made me laugh. There are good characters in the story.' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'This is a very funny book. If you like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, you will LOVE this. Lots of laughs all through the book.' Read full review >
- Charlie Swan, age 8 - 'This book was extremely funny and very silly. I loved it! It is twice as good as my other favourite book of this kind (the Tom Gates books). I would like to read all the other Barry Loser books.' Read full review >
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 10 - 'I am not a Loser is a great book and I would recommend this book to any one who just want to have a laugh.' Read full review >
- Leoni williams, age 8 - 'This book is very very very funny. Even though I think it's mostly for boys, girls can read it too...Me and mum sometimes read them together and even she laughs.' Read full review >
- Hannah Baer, age 10 - 'It is a really funny book with lots of hilarious moments.' Read full review >
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'I am not a loser is a good book because Barry Loser is really funny!' Read full review >
- Emily Lonsdale, age 8 - 'Very funny book that I read in a few hours.' Read full review >
- Lucy Keaveny, age 8 - 'Barry is the main character in this book and he is sort of a big loser. He always comes up with really weird ideas.' Read full review >
- Izzie Wood, age 10 - 'I like the book. I would rate it a 6/10.' Read full review >
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Barry Loser and the Case of the Crumpled Carton by Jim Smith
The 6th book in this Roald Dahl Funny Prize award-winning series. 'My mum and dad are so busy looking after my brand new baby brother, Desmond Loser the Second, that sometimes I wonder if they even know I exist.' There's a new Loser in town, and Barry's not happy about it. The only thing that's keeping him going is a superkeel new drink from Feeko's Supermarket. But then disaster strikes, and Barry has to turn detective to solve the mystery of the century: the case of the crumpled carton!
Perfect for fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Mr Gum and Tom Gates.
For more Barry Loser info visit the website www.barryloser.com
Very funny and cheeky Booktictac Guardian Online Review
Hugely enjoyable surreal chaos Guardian
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Jim Smith
Author's Facebook Latest
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
29th January 2015
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7