Written by Emma Clayton
Part of the Roar Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Twins Mika and Ellie first appeared in The Roar, a suspenseful thriller set in a not-too-distant future Britain in which humanity lives behind a huge concrete wall to protect them from animals carrying a plague. Readers who may not have read The Roar are quickly brought up to speed and the action proceeds at pace. The twins have superpowers – they can hear thoughts – and in this adventure they use them to attack the wall in an attempt to release the brainwashed army of children locked behind it. The narrative switches from Mika to Ellie and Mika’s friend Kobi, providing different perspectives and carrying the plot forward. The action never lets up while the book also explores some serious themes. A first-rate sci-fi adventure. ~ Andrea Reece
A Piece of Passion from Publisher, Barry Cunningham If The Roar made you tremble with the excitement of a video game made scarily real in a walled world gone wrong, The Whisper will give you hope that children themselves can take control of tomorrow and turn back the damage that adults are doing to that world. Hope, true excitement and brilliant action make Emma Clayton’s The Whisper a must-be-heard voice before it’s too late! Awesome, colourful action for today’s eco-warriors and the fiercely passionate protectors of animals and what matters!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, The Roar.
- Robin Winterbourne, age 9 - 'I loved this adventure book as it was really exciting! I would definitely recommend it if you like action stories.' Read full review >
- James Lawrence Griffith, age 11 - 'This gripping, futuristic, adventure story would suit all adrenaline lovers with an interest in modern technology. I loved it and found it sitting near the top of my best reads list!' Read full review >
- Zachary Bayman, age 11 - 'A thrilling page turner that will keep you guessing to the last moment.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'An exhilarating futuristic adventure which grabbed me from the first page. This book is just so stunningly good it made it straight into my top 5 book list.' Read full review >
- William Longlands, age 11 - '8 out of 10...I really liked most of this book as it was action packed. On the other hand some bits were dull.' Read full review >
- Lily, age 11 - 'I love this book because it’s very gripping. There are lots of unexpected twists and I could barely put it down!' Read full review >
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 9 - 'A roller coaster of a book keeping you on the edge of your seat all the way through.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'The Roar is a novel that will appeal to readers who like mystery and adventure. The plot was exciting enough to keep me interested until the end.' Read full review >
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
The Whisper by Emma Clayton
The exhilarating sequel to The Roar, the first title in Emma Clayton’s electrifying sci-fi series set in a dystopian future with plenty of edge- of-your-seat action.
Mika and Ellie have the ability to hear thoughts. Their mission: listening in on the mind of evil Mal Gorman, who's determined to use an age-resisting serum to stay forever young. Forced to play along with his plans, the telepathic twins may be the only people able to release his brainwashed army of children. That's when they begin to hear The Whisper, which tells them they should be fighting fire with fire. This could mean revolution...or war.
‘Exciting, thought-provoking, and very hard to put down.’ NEW YORK TIMES
About the Author
More books by Emma Clayton
Author's Facebook Latest
Chicken House Ltd
5th February 2015
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils