Bears Don't Read!
Written by Emma Chichester Clark
Illustrated by Emma Chichester Clark
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 George is sure there is more to life than fishing and chatting which is what the other bears do. When he finds a book he soon realises that it contains something very special. But how can he find out what? All George wants is someone to teach him how to read but who will ever help a bear to do that? Luckily, just as he is about to be arrested by the local police force, Clementine steps in and takes charge. Soon clever George is a reader after all.
The Good Book Guide Review. George is different from other bears; he thinks there is more to life than fishing and chatting. One day he finds a book, so goes off to find someone to teach him to read. This charming story is delightfully illustrated. (Ages 3-7)
~ The Good Book Guide
Kids love to read and share books from an early age and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of the younger members of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Eleanor, age 2 and Mummy - 'Bright and colourful with lots to look at and talk about on every page...It kept her captivated from start to finish.' Read full review >
- Tracey Stanley & Finley Mcmaster, age 3 - 'can not help being impressed with the beautiful illustrations and the detail in the drawings...A story that shows the joy of reading.' Read full review >
- Aoife Harrison, age 5 - 'I really liked the bits when the guards came and I liked the pictures most. It was a funny book. I would really like to read more of them.' Read full review >
- Evie Meredith, age 5 - 'Fantastic, funny read! We loved it!' Read full review >
- Emma Johnson, age 4 - 'I loved this book! I really liked the bit where the police surrounded the bear and the pictures are great.' Read full review >
- Emma’s mum - 'This was a lovely book to share...The illustrations are beautiful and make the story come to life.' Read full review >
- James McNichol, age 4 - 'On the surface Bears Don’t Read! is a story about George who wants to learn how to read, but look a little deeper and it is so much more.' Read full review >
Bears Don't Read! by Emma Chichester Clark
An exquisite new picture book from renowned illustrator, Emma Chichester Clark, creator of Blue Kangaroo, now out in paperback.
A magical story of friendship to power the imagination and encourage children (and bears!) towards a lifelong love of reading. That's just silly! said his sister. Bears don't read! George isn't happy doing the usual bear things like chatting and fishing. But what else is there? Then one day, he finds a book beneath a tree and knows...More than anything he wants to learn to read! But, arriving in town, George soon discovers that it's not easy to be a bear at school! If only he could find someone to teach him the alphabet and change his life forever...Perhaps a little girl called Clementine can help?
A feel-good story of determination and friendship - sure to encourage a lifelong love of books.
Praise for 'Come to School Too, Blue Kangaroo!'
'[One of] the best books to deal with your child's pre-school nerves The Telegraph
Praise for 'Alice in Wonderland':
This is a real Alice for the present day, but nonetheless one it is easy to image living the extraordinary adventure Lewis Carroll wrote for her. Quentin Blake
Praise for 'Melrose and Croc':
'Full of bright detail, this is a picture book young readers could well dream about as being the next best thing to entering its pages.' The Independent
About the Author
Interest Age: From 3
Emma Chichester Clark
More books by Emma Chichester Clark
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
26th February 2015
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley