The Boy with the Tiger's Heart
Written by Linda Coggin
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014
Can three children and a bear keep themselves free from the authorities who are determined to track them down? When Thomas Bailey takes his own life and sets his wild animals free Nona, the young girl who has been sheltered by him, must make her escape too. The authorities kill all the animals they can; only Abel Dancer, a bear, escapes. Nona protects him as they go on the run from their deadly enemy Bolverk, a man with a cyber eye and the power to track them down. Teaming up Jay and Caius, two boys they meet on her travels, Nona and Abel Dancer show the value of loyalty, courage and kindness while celebrating the freedom that only the wild can offer.
A Piece of Passion from Emma Matthewson, Editor-at-Large I just fell in love with Linda Coggin's writing. I could say that The Boy with the Tiger's Heart is a lyrical, beautiful, modern-day fable - which it is. But it is also a mesmerising read: thrilling, exciting, puzzling and magical. If you think you might like a book about a girl brought up by wild dogs and whose best friend is a bear; a boy who is wild and terrifying, only part human and yet still very much a boy; and a society that so fears nature and the dark that it has felled all forests and keeps the lights on at night - then this is the book for you. I so hope you enjoy it.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Olivia Faulkner, age 8 - 'I loved this book, it was really exciting and sometimes even scary. I couldn't wait to read another chapter each night.' Read full review >
- Isobel Allan, age 10 - 'The story is well written and I am now desperate to read the next book to find out what happens to the three friends. I would definitely recommend this book!' Read full review >
- Liam Wilson, age 9 - 'An exciting and unusual story.' Read full review >
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wonderful book, lovely story! Amazing!' Read full review >
- Safiyah Davenport, age 15 - 'a moving and gripping tale of love, loss and humanity...A beautifully crafted book this is a must read for all readers.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Wow, what a fantastic book. I was hooked from the very first page of this truly exciting story of survival and adventure. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Natalie Hunter, age 12 - 'I really enjoyed The Boy With The Tiger's Heart. I loved the characters and their backstories and I liked the setting...It is a good read and I would recommend it to readers of all levels of skill.' Read full review >
- James Harrison, age 11 - 'I had to really force myself to turn the pages. I will never read this again.' Read full review >
The Boy with the Tiger's Heart by Linda Coggin
The call of the wild is powerfully realised in this thrillingly evocative modern-day fableA girl raised in the wild, a desperate race for freedom and a boy with a fiercely guarded secret...When Nona's guardian kills himself, she is immediately suspected of murdering him. In a world where nature and darkness are feared, where wild animals are held captive and cities are illuminated by permanent light, who will believe her innocence? Nona must flee with her only friend - a bear who is strangely human.
In their desperate attempt to escape capture, Nona and her bear encounter two strange boys, Caius and Jay. Together, the four of them will hide, and fight, and make the deadliest of enemies in their desperate race to a forbidden place called The Edge - where nature is unrestrained, where there is light and shade, forest and mountain, and where there are no shackles or boundaries.
A poetic, haunting and unforgettable modern fable about nature, society, and what it is that makes us human.
Nature, society and what it means to be human are explored in this unusual, accomplished debut -- Fiona Noble The Bookseller
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Linda Coggin
Author's Facebook Latest
Hot Key Books
5th February 2015
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7