Written by Emma Clayton
Part of the The Roar Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Full of dramatic and startling twists, this is a thrilling and thought provoking story set in a future world. Twins Mika and Ellie live with their parents in a safe world, protected from the plague animals by a strong wall – or so they have been told. But, when Ellie disappears, they begin to discover that not everything they have been told is true. Miika takes part in a sinister virtual reality game and begins to uncover the horrible truth about the realities of the world they live in. It’s a bleak future – and a fascinating one.
***Find out how the children take control of their future and start repairing the damaged world in the sequel, The Whisper.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Robin Winterbourne, age 9 - 'I loved this adventure book as it was really exciting! I would definitely recommend it if you like action stories.' Read full review >
- James Lawrence Griffith, age 11 - 'This gripping, futuristic, adventure story would suit all adrenaline lovers with an interest in modern technology. I loved it and found it sitting near the top of my best reads list!' Read full review >
- Zachary Bayman, age 11 - 'A thrilling page turner that will keep you guessing to the last moment.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'An exhilarating futuristic adventure which grabbed me from the first page. This book is just so stunningly good it made it straight into my top 5 book list.' Read full review >
- William Longlands, age 11 - '8 out of 10...I really liked most of this book as it was action packed. On the other hand some bits were dull.' Read full review >
- Lily, age 11 - 'I love this book because it’s very gripping. There are lots of unexpected twists and I could barely put it down!' Read full review >
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 9 - 'A roller coaster of a book keeping you on the edge of your seat all the way through.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'The Roar is a novel that will appeal to readers who like mystery and adventure. The plot was exciting enough to keep me interested until the end.' Read full review >
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
The Roar by Emma Clayton
Twelve-year old twins, Mika and Ellie, live in a future behind a wall \- safe from the plague animals beyond. Or so they've been told. But when one of them disappears, and the other takes part in a sinister virtual reality game, they begin to discover their concrete world is built on lies. As they go in search of the truth, and a strange sound in their heads grows to a roar, they find out that children and the planet have never mattered more.
‘The Roar is a hugely inventive and entertaining read … a fresh and exciting take on sci-fi.’ - EOIN COLFER
‘It’s about today with the volume turned up’. BARRY CUNNINGHAM, PUBLISHER
About the Author
More books by Emma Clayton
Author's Facebook Latest
Chicken House Ltd
4th September 2014
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale