The Honest Truth
Written by Dan Gemeinhart
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2015 Debut of the Month Thirteen year old Mark is running away from home. He’s taking his dog Beau with him, and is heading for Mount Rainier. He’s prepared really well, no-one and nothing – certainly not the cancer that is going to end his life – will stop him from making this trip. This is both a very honest description of what it might feel like to be a young person with cancer and a terrific adventure story – Mark’s journey, the people and problems he runs into, is classic boy versus wilderness stuff, and really gripping. Every encounter and every episode takes him forward – literally as well as metaphorically – and gives us more information about what it’s like to be him. A heart-warming and life-affirming novel. ~ Andrea Reece
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher, Chicken House It’s silly when a book makes you cry, isn’t it? When it’s all about courage, connecting with other lives, and finding your own answers to the most impossible questions about living and loving. OK – maybe not so silly, maybe that’s what books are for. Thanks Dan, this is a truly great story. And there’s a dog that helps out too!
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A very sad, happy and exciting story. I will remember Mark and Beau for a long time.' Read full review >
- Lucie Harrison, age 12 - 'The Honest Truth is a story of friendship, perseverance and secrets.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 11 - 'I found this book very moving and some parts made me want to cry, however this book was very good and I like the author’s style of writing.' Read full review >
- Henry Smith, age 9 - 'You will not be able to put this book down! I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book I've read by Dan Gemeinhart and I definitely want to read another.' Read full review >
- Bailie Westbrook, age 11 - 'I loved this book! It was really sad and emotional but it was great.' Read full review >
- Emma Stephenson, age 11 - 'This book is great. Once I started I had to keep reading...Mark's best companion is his dog Beau. Beau adds a lot of character to the story.' Read full review >
- Amie, age 11 - 'It was thought provoking, exciting, sad and humbling all in one. In fact it made me think about lots of things I wouldn’t normally think about...' Read full review >
- Evie Hollingshead, age 10 - 'Wow! Such a fantastic descriptive book. I really felt as though I was on Mark's journey with him.' Read full review >
- Patrick John Griffith, age 9 - 'This gripping adventure story hooks you in and makes you want to keep reading to find out what happens to Mark and Beau.' Read full review >
- Tamsin Hindley - 'This was brilliant - a great book for any fan of The Fault in our Stars. I sobbed from start to finish.' Read full review >
- Jack Saddler, age 9 - 'This book was brilliantly written and made me feel both sad and amazed. The story deals with difficult decisions and made me think about what I would do in the same situation.' Read full review >
The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
A beautifully written coming-of-age novel from debut author Dan Gemeinhart about a young boy who, despite his illness, is determined to go on one last adventure with his dog Beau. Mark has been in and out of hospital his whole life - and he's fed up. So when his cancer returns, he decides he's had enough. Running away with his dog Beau, he sets out to climb a mountain - and it's only when he's left everything behind that Mark realises he has everything to live for.
‘Gemeinhart’s heart-rending yet suspenseful novel tells the equally gripping stories of the boy who went to the mountain and the girl who stayed behind … undeniably moving.’
KIRKUS REVIEWS (USA), starred review
‘… an emotionally hard-hitting survival story.’ PUBLISHERS WEEKLY (USA)
About the Author
More books by Dan Gemeinhart
Chicken House Ltd
5th March 2015
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10