Written by S. C. Ransom
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
An adrenaline fuelled opening plunges readers into a compelling and tense thriller. Lily is loitering on the platform of an underground station – with no signal it’s a refuge from her cyberbullies – when a girl comes running down the track. Lily pulls her clear millimetres ahead of a train, and follows her into a secret passage, and a nightmare world. In the labyrinth beneath London lives a strange community, ruled by an autocratic leader ‘The Farmer’, and the crop he controls is truly terrifying. S. C. Ransom succeeds in making the scenario credible at all times; Lily and Aria, the girl she saves, are strong teen characters; the bullying sub-plot sensitively handled. A gripping teen read. ~ Andrea Reece
Kirsty from Nosy Crow says: “Sue can really spin a yarn and she keeps you guessing right to the very end. No spoilers from me, but there are times when you wonder if anyone is going to make it out of the book in one piece!”
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Edel Waugh - 'amazing! I started this book and never stopped until I was finished. The story does not slow down for a minute making it a pure adrenaline ride!'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, this book was unputdownable! I started reading quite early about 8.00am and couldn't stop by 4.00pm I was done! Wow!!'
- Destiny Maraj, age 13 - 'I really loved reading this book! It had a great plot, with very interesting twists and turns.'
- Aimee Sweet, age 13 - 'This fantastic story hooked me in on the first page- I couldn’t stop reading until I finished it a day later!'
- Emma Hughes - 'a brilliant book that grips you from start to finish. It takes you through a touching story with many twists, and leaves you wishing for more.'
- Poppy, age 16 - ''The Beneath' is a really interesting, suspense filled book, with strong characters you can't help feeling attached to. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend.'
The Beneath by S. C. Ransom
The long-awaited new novel from Sue Ransom is a dark and sinister novel for 12+ readers. Imagine meeting someone from a community living far below the streets of London, someone who's never seen daylight or breathed fresh air. Someone who's got a secret, and a story, and a plan that will put you and the boy you love in terrible danger...
It's an ordinary school day but Lily is about to step into a nightmare. How can Lily trust the girl she rescues from the Tube tunnel? It's only when Lily finds herself in the labyrinth beneath London that she learns the horrific truth - about the Farmer, the Crop, and about herself...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
S. C. Ransom
More books by S. C. Ransom
Nosy Crow Ltd
4th March 2015
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15