Written by Andrew Smith
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Longlisted for the 2015 CILIP Carnegie Medal - One of our Books of the Year 2014 - One of the Lovereading4kids Readers' Choice Books of the Year 2014 *** Suitable for 15+ due to explicit content Across a huge canvass that touches on almost everything a teenager might think about this is a sexy, sharp-eyed, funny and totally irreverent view of the world as told by sixteen year Austin. Austin’s world view which is told as he hangs out in Ealing, Iowa with his best friend Robby and girlfriend Shann is very normal in that it is full of the usual teen concerns – mostly sex. But it also wholly extraordinary – especially after the bugs have been released. Accidentally, of course. With a world full of preying mantis the world will be never be the same again.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Izzy Read - 'It is either an unusual mix of genres or it was a completely new one. But strangely, it worked fantastically...This is a really unique book that I think a lot of teenagers will enjoy.' Read full review >
- Jack Graham - 'In Ealing, Iowa, two boys accidentally released the unstoppable soldiers – horny, hungry six foot praying mantises. Written as Austin’s history of the world, Grasshopper Jungle is a funny, complex novel.' Read full review >
- James Smith - 'Funny and Gripping...to me it was a good book, and it would make a very good film.' Read full review >
- Oliver Cawthorne - 'I found this book very interesting. There are a lot of exhilarating moments.' Read full review >
- Sarah Murray - 'really original, I've never read anything like it...This has something for everyone; sci-fi, apocalyptic aspects, LGBT aspects, humour and so much more. I feel as though any fan of Michael Grant or David Levithan would love this book!' Read full review >
- Andrew Wilson - 'If you enjoy a combination of realism and sci-fi with a unique interesting storyline then this book will keep you hooked all the way.' Read full review >
- Corey McKernan - 'This is not a book for younger readers as most of the story has vivid descriptions , but I found it was a most memorable read.' Read full review >
- Zoe - 'If I had to describe this book up in one word, it would be: 'inter-esting'. Not 'interesting' which means extraordinary and entertaining, but 'inter....esting' where I found it odd and unexplainable.' Read full review >
- Madi Campbell - 'Some may enjoy this book and some may dislike it, there will be different thoughts on it. In my opinion it is not the most amazing book I have read.' Read full review >
- Jasmine Kelynack - ', the story is so random that I found it very interesting.' Read full review >
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
If you're a fan of John Green, Michael Grant, Stephen King or Sally Green's Half Bad, get your pincers stuck into this.
In the small town of Ealing, Iowa, Austin and his best friend Robby have accidentally unleashed an unstoppable army. An army of horny, hungry, six-foot-tall praying mantises that only want to do two things. This is the truth. This is history. It's the end of the world. And nobody knows anything about it. Funny, intense, complex and brave, Grasshopper Jungle is a groundbreaking, genre-bending, coming-of-age stunner.
'Grasshopper Jungle is a cool/passionate, gay/straight, male/female, absurd/real, funny/moving, past/present, breezy/profound masterpiece of a book.' Michael Grant, no.1 bestselling author of the Gone series
'If you only read one book this year about sexually confused teens battling 6 foot tall head-chomping praying mantises in small town America, make it this one. Cool, funny, sexy, gross.' Charlie Higson, bestselling author of The Enemy and Young Bond series
Beautiful, hilarious, heartbreaking, real, oh-so-macabre. inkwood books
Grasshopper Jungle is a perfect book. As wild as a Stephen King novel, and as emotional as a John Green, this book is equally funny, creepy and arousing. books & books
About the Author
Interest Age: From 14
More books by Andrew Smith
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
26th February 2015
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16