The Accidental Prime Minister
Written by Tom McLaughlin
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - April 2015 Debut of the Month We’ve all thought it: a twelve-year-old boy could do an MP’s job at least as well as the present lot, probably better. That’s the premise in Tom McLaughlin’s debut novel, only the twelve-year-old in question – Joe Perkins – doesn’t just get to be an MP, he accidentally becomes Prime Minister. Promising that where there is grumpiness, may he bring giggles and where there is jelly, may he bring ice-cream, Joe sets out to make the country a happier, more relaxed place. It works, at least until his scheming deputy puts a spanner in the works, or a nail in a bouncy castle to be precise. McLaughlin milks all opportunities for situation comedy, and indulges in some terrific fantasy lawmaking while the action scampers along at pace. Beneath the humour there are serious points being made about democracy and government, and this could actually inspire future generations of politicians. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Ross Dawson, age 11 - 'Read this book to find out how a normal boy with an ordinary life, stands up one day to speak his mind and finds himself becoming Prime Minister of the country!'
- Noah Hall, age 9 - 'Humourous, entertaining, silly. An all-round great book.'
- Cajsa Jonsson, age 9 - 'I give this book a staggering 10/10! It is great for kids my age and no words that are too complicated. It has a great storyline that includes hysterical characters. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!'
- William Longlands, age 11 - 'a wonderfully funny story of hope, glory, silliness, anti-silliness leagues and kids as Prime Ministers.'
- William’s Mum - 'We read this book as a family bedtime story. My husband and I enjoyed it just as much as William. A brilliant, heart-warming, laugh out loud funny book.'
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'This book is exciting, funny and enjoyable.'
- Liam Selwyn, age 11 - 'I loved this book. It is about a boy who has a passion about saving his local park and his mum’s job. This book is great and I would rate it 5 stars.'
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'Really funny. A great book.'
- Alexander Bisland, age 9 - 'I recommend this book to 8+ readers because it has a few difficult words in it. I give it 5 stars *****.'
- Patrick John Griffith - 'Silly and funny, crazy and wild, this book is vastly enjoyable to read!'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Accidental Prime Minister by Tom McLaughlin
When Joe tells a local news reporter exactly what he would do if he were leader of the country, the video goes viral and Joe's speech becomes famous all over the world!
Before long, people are calling for the current leader to resign and give someone else a go ...and that's how an ordinary boy like Joe, ended up with the most extraordinary job. Now the fun can really start ...Hats for cats! Pet pigs for all! Banana shaped buses! Swimming pools on trains!
A hilarious story of one boy's meteoric rise to power!
'dramatises a common fantasy for many of us - what we might do if we were Prime Minister'
, 'Best Books for Children this Easter', Telegraph 'a totally hilarious story, brilliantly written and amusingly illustrated - with clear undercurrents of reality
'a wonderful middle-grade book that's topical and ripe for discussion'
'manages to introduce the idea of politics for a 7+ audience with some serious points, but mainly laugh-out-loud humour'
'thoughtful, ambitions yarn published just in time for the general election'
'Connell, The Times 'The funniest book I've ever read'
'A well-crafted attack on adults who take themselves too seriously'
'this is an entertaining read for those who enjoy slapstick humour.'
'A brilliant read for kids who dream big.'
'a fast read which was funny and full of humour'
'a really fun book and a very enjoyable read'
About the Author
More books by Tom McLaughlin
Author's Facebook Latest
Oxford University Press
2nd April 2015
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods