The Crow Talker
Written by Jacob Grey
Part of the Ferals Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2015 Debut of the Month Caw is an orphan, or might as well be. His parents threw him out aged five and since then he’s lived with a family of crows in a local park. He’s learnt to understand them, and as the story develops he meets a man who, like him, can talk to and control a certain type of animal. Such people, Ferals, are in danger though, the sinister and terrifying Spinning Man is coming after them. Caw shares characteristics with superheroes and makes an appealing central character for young readers, boys in particular. This high-octane adventures ticks lots of boxes for fans of fantasy action. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sam Moffat, age 12 - 'a brilliant book. It has a mix of SCI-FI and Fantasy which work very well together...I loved this book and I will be keeping an eye out for more Jacob Grey books.'
- Elenie Williams, age 11 - 'a great book that has a cliff-hanger ending that makes you want to read more.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Having the ability to communicate with animals is Caw's common ground with a bunch of criminals. Led by the spinning man, who wishes to return to the living, they soon show their evil side.'
- Abraham Fisher, age 12 - 'a book that has every emotion packed into it, it has an amazing plot that is full of suspense and anticipation. I want a sequel, now!!!'
- Destiny Maraj, age 13 - 'It was adventurous, creative, scary and nerve-wrecking all at the same time...an incredible novel, I couldn't have asked for a better one to read.'
- James Lawrence Griffith, age 11 - 'This enticing modern adventure story would suit all animal and adrenaline lovers. I loved its great story line.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow! Amazing book! Just fantastic, I couldn't stop reading.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Crow Talker by Jacob Grey
In a city ravaged by crime and corruption, 13-year-old orphan Caw's only friends are the murder of crows he has lived with since his parents flung him from their house aged only five...Caw lives in a treehouse in an abandoned city park, surviving on scraps of food and only communicating with his three crows. But a jailbreak at the prison forces him into contact with other humans - particularly a girl called Lydia, who is attacked by the escaped prisoners and is saved by Caw. Caw realises that these escaped prisoners have more in common with him than he'd like...they too are FERALS - humans able to communicate with and control an animal species. And they want to bring their evil Feral master, The Spinning Man, back from the Land of the Dead. Only by joining forces with other good Ferals hiding throughout the city can Caw stand a chance of defeating them.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Jacob Grey
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
26th March 2015
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15