If You Were Me
Written by Sam Hepburn
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2015 Book of the Month Two young people from very different backgrounds star in this crime mystery. Aliya’s family have fled to England from Afghanistan, chased out by the Taliban. Dan lives in London with his parents, reluctantly helping his dad with his plumbing business when he can’t get out of it. The two are brought together when Dan witnesses Aliya’s brother Behrouz being beaten and kidnapped. For reasons of his own, Dan can’t go to the police but when Behrouz is accused of plotting a terrorist attack he decides to help Aliya reveal the truth. Together they untangle a complex web of corruption and deceit, risking their own lives in the process. Sam Hepburn’s plotting is excellent, the tension never lets up and this is a seriously good thriller with a shocking final twist. ~ Andrea Reece
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher, Chicken House Sam Hepburn writes thrillers seriously – devastating plots and brilliant characters take you places you didn’t mean to go. Stories that are never what you expect, and are always hard to put down. If You Were Me grips with a passion and a purpose. Afterwards the world feels a little bit righter, and a little bit brighter. Fantastic.
Click here to read the story behind the book.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Jack Wilson, age 12 - 'Best book I've EVER read...The way the book ends is just amazing. An excellent book that everyone must read!'
- Celeste Phelan, age 13 - 'An eye-opening read about courage, perseverance and loyalty...This is one of my favorite books that I have reviewed for lovereading4kids.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 12 - 'This book contains action and adventure. I loved the plot twists and the ending. I would love for there to be a sequel, I would definitely read it.'
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 11 - 'Alyia and Dan set off together to find out the truth about their families. Although they run into quite a lot of trouble on the way, they are determined to find the truth.'
- Shannon McCluskey, age 13 - 'This is a book that will touch your heart forever. I would recommend it to really good readers of 12+'
- Amie Coffman, age 11 - 'Gripping, thrilling, captivating. This book was all of those things and more!'
- Aimee Sweet, age 13 - 'The plot is fast paced and the number of scenes that left me speechless are endless. The story is truly awe-inspiring, and I’m sure others would agree.'
- Shannon McCluskey, age 13 - 'This is a book that will touch your heart forever. I would recommend it to really good readers of 12+.'
- Alek Litwak, age 11 - 'The best book I've read in a while!'
- Hattie Benton, age 9 - 'You have to read this book. It is totally gripping and I couldn't put it down. I would definitely give it 5 stars!'
- Sam Saddler, age 12 - 'A gripping novel with a complex storyline. The main characters come from very different backgrounds and yet show the same admirable determination and perseverance. Looking forward to a sequel!'
- Susanna McGurk, age 14 - 'The storyline and the spellbinding secrets and ending of the story easily made it one of the best books I’ve ever read, making me excited because I can’t wait to add it to my book shelf and I’m sure anybody else who reads, “If you were me”, will love it almost as much as I do.'
- Alexander Ganfield - 'This book is a real page turner because it keeps coming in with twists to the story. This story is a thrilling tale with a detective side and I think this book will appeal to a variety of people.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
If You Were Me by Sam Hepburn
From the author of Chasing the Dark comes a thrilling young teen crime mystery, guaranteed to keep you guessing until the very end.
Not long after Aliya's family escapes Afghanistan for Britain, her brother is accused of a bomb attack. Aliya is sure of his innocence, but when plumber's son Dan finds a gun in their bathroom, what's she to think? Dan has his own reasons for staying silent: he's worried the gun might have something to do with his dad. Thrown together by chance, they set out to uncover a tangled and twisted truth.
About the Author
More books by Sam Hepburn
Chicken House Ltd
2nd April 2015
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen