Written by Lisa Heathfield
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2015 Debut of the Month Fifteen year old Pearl has lived all her life at Seed, a nature-worshipping cult led by a self-imposed father figure, Papa S. Pearl is happy, despite, or maybe because of, her extreme naivety. Contact with the outside world is practically forbidden, those that live at Seed know very little other than what they are told by Papa S – the young people aren’t even allowed to know who their real mothers are. The arrival of a new family with a teen boy disrupts the equilibrium, and makes Pearl realise life in the cult may not be the paradise she thought. Narrated by Pearl in the present tense, this is a convincing and disturbing portrayal of life in an oppressive, controlling society, and will prompt readers to think about self-determination, and women’s rights. Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Edel Waugh - 'If you want a gripping and heart stopping read that will pull at your heart strings then this is the book for you.' Read full review >
- Izzy Read, age 14 - 'I felt the ending was quite shocking and unpredictable; it took me a while to recover from it... a complex and interesting book with believable characters and surprising story line.' Read full review >
- Destiny Maraj, age 13 - 'the most unbelievable, jaw-dropping, eye-opening book I've ever read! It was absolutely amazing! by far the best book I've ever read!!' Read full review >
- Sophia Ufton - 'Amazing book, really wanted to find out what happened!'
- Farah Alam - 'This book is really interesting and, it's nice to see the main character Pearl develop throughout the book.' Read full review >
- Melanie Chadwick - 'The tension and action builds up throughout the book to a great ending.' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth - 'a tale centred around the dark lies of a cult, is surprisingly heartwarming to read...I would definitely recommend to those who seek literary adventure and a pinch of anguish.' Read full review >
- Michelle Toy - 'This book is hauntingly beautiful and deals with such sensitive and often rather unnerving subjects and situations. Lisa Heathfield's writing is stunning and beautiful in such a tender way!' Read full review >
Seed by Lisa Heathfield
Seed loves you. Seed will never let you go. Fifteen-year-old Pearl has lived her whole life protected within the small community at Seed, where they worship Nature and idolise their leader, Papa S. When some outsiders arrive, everything changes. Pearl experiences feelings that she never knew existed and begins to realise that there is darkness at the heart of Seed. A darkness from which she must escape, before it's too late.
'Seed was intriguing and fascinating - Lisa Heathfield's debut is stunning and has left me aching for more. Do yourself a favour and do NOT pass this one up. Spellbinding and filled with mystery and deception, this is a novel that demands to be read.'
'Seed will hold readers'
's mood slowly changes and the work builds to an ultimately stunning conclusion'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Lisa Heathfield
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
16th April 2015
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12