The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Mysterious Phantom
Written by Vicki Lockwood
Part of the The Magnificent Lizzie Brown Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2015 Book of the Month Young readers who like their mystery stories tinged with a bit of Victorian gothic are going to love this new detective series. Twelve year old Lizzie finally has enough of living with her brutish father and runs away. She’s lucky to fall in with Fitzy’s, a travelling circus, and immediately feels at home with its stars; in fact, she’s soon performing herself as the circus fortune teller, for Lizzie it seems, might have psychic abilities. Can Lizzie use these to discover the identity of the Phantom, a violent burglar terrorizing London? The circus provides a great background for this satisfying mystery, while Lizzie is a clever, feisty heroine: fans of Holmes (Conan Doyle’s or Cumberbatch’s) will particularly enjoy this. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'A suspenseful and exciting mystery story that I couldn't put down!'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'This historical mystery/adventure story set in Victorian London, has lots of 'cliff hangers', making it compulsive reading, I couldn't put it down! '
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'Page turner, mysterious, intriguing. I give this book 9/10.'
- Rose Hopkins, age 9 - 'The book was set in the Victorian era and my lack of knowledge for that time made it even more interesting. I can’t wait for the 2nd story.'
- Cailin McGlee, age 12 - 'The story is very intense and interesting, making you want to read more. There is an unexpected plot twist at the end, which causes even more drama.'
- Judith Smith, age 9 - 'I think this book is absolutely incredible. I couldn't put the book down it was exiting sad and tense I kept telling my friends the really good bits.'
- Jenny Bridgeman, age 9 - 'The book I thought was amazing. I think the book was the type of book I like best, mystery, adventure, magic and detective sort.'
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'A very big mystery which kept me guessing right to the end. This book is very interesting and describes circus life of the time very well.'
- Felicity Wilcox, age 12 - 'Amazing plot twists, loveable characters, brilliant page turning book. When I first got this book I fell in love with it: such amazing cover art. I started reading it that night.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 9 - 'A great mystery story! I really enjoyed reading this book although it was a bit scary so I didn't read it at night!'
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 11 - 'Lizzie has a father who is a thief, he also gets her to steal for him. When she runs away from him and joins a circus she finds out that she has a power'
- Jennifer Towler, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed the book, it was really good because it had a mystery in it, which I was always trying to figure out.'
- Louise Whalley - 'A wonderful, light read. I can’t wait for the 2nd story.'
- Cora Willans - 'Amazing and awesome book! I absolutely loved it.'
- Aimee Goldblum - '‘The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Mysterious Phantom’ a brilliant story with an excellent plot, and my eyes didn’t leave the page. I was so intrigued that I read it in 2 days!'
- Ellen Cox, age 8 - 'Sadly not the book for me.'
- Jennifer Towler, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed the book, it was really good because it had a mystery in it, which I was always trying to figure out, and I didn’t get it right so the ending surprised me.'
The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Mysterious Phantom by Vicki Lockwood
Lizzie Brown has escaped the slums of Victorian London and joined Fitzy's Travelling Circus. By accident, she discovers that she has an amazing ability: in a world of charlatans and tricksters, Lizzie may be the only truly clairvoyant palm reader in existence! While reading a client's palm, she sees shocking images of a masked man taking part in a violent robbery. Lizzie musters together her gang of circus children – the Penny Gaff Gang, all with their own amazing talents – to reveal the true identity of The Phantom robber.
“Lockwood’s spirited tale is filled with colourful characters, beginning with determined
Lizzie herself, and a steady sense of suspense and mystery pushes the story forward.”
“A cast of likeable circus people, a spunky heroine and a twisty mystery that will keep
pages turning until the book’s finale.” Kirkus Reviews
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Vicki Lockwood
7th May 2015
Curious Fox is an imprint of Curious Fox
Curious Fox is an exciting imprint for young readers of all ages. Our mission is to publish imaginative, creative, and jaw-droppingly enjoyable books that will take readers on a journey through new adventures and experiences. Inspired by the curious nature of the fox, the imprint is designed to spark the curiosity of young readers, from beautiful picture books; un-put-down-able middle grade series to thought-provoking YA novels. Curious Fox is also the official publisher of Warner Brothers brands including DC Comics Justice League, Looney Tunes and top dog Scooby-Doo.
Publisher's RSS feed
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11