The it Girl
Written by Katy Birchall
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2015 Debut of the Month Geek Girl meets Notting Hill in Katy Birchall’s sparkling debut. Central character Anna is a lovable dork: the school misfit, she’s given to spontaneous tap-dancing, accidentally sets fire to the hair of the most popular girl in the school’s best friend, and usually confides in Dog, her Labrador. But then Anna’s writer dad announces his engagement to a film star. Can Anna’s step-sister-to-be, a regular of the gossip pages, bestow a little star quality? Various social disasters follow, many involving Dog, as Anna sets out to boost her popularity, before realising that the friends she has are worth more than all the ‘popular people’ put together, and that true love might actually be right under her nose. Anna is an appealing character and her escapades are full of useful life lessons, as well as being very funny. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'A hilarious story of friendship, bravery and sticking together in the face of fame. A definite winner!'
- Amelie Chatham, age 12 - 'The It Girl is a fantastic read. If you liked Geek Girl by Holly Smale you will love this.'
- Lucie Harrison, age 12 - 'A hilariously funny book! It was really fun to read and easy to relate to in some situations too!'
- Ella Hewitt, age 12 - 'This book is about a girl called Anna new to a secondary school, she lives an ordinary life and lives with her single Dad. When her dad gets a famous girlfriend, her whole life changes as she becomes an ‘It girl’.'
- Daisy Theobald - 'I absolutely loved this book and will definatley be reading the second book.'
- Amelia White - 'I really could not stop laughing. This book seems to embody teens everywhere! Best book I've read in a long time.'
- Lisa Coffman - ' This book was extremely funny and very unique.'
- Susanna, age 12 - 'I am reviewing The It Girl by Katy Birchall which is an amazing book! It’s all about a girl who tries to fit in at school, make friends and try not to set fire to the deputy queen bee’s hair again!'
- Rebekah, age 12 - 'I enjoyed this book I thought it was really interesting and I liked how after every chapter it made you want to read on. I also enjoyed it because it was funny but also sad at the same time.'
- Sophie Bridges, age 12 - 'I think the book 'The it girl, by Maty Birchall is really good because it is very exciting and her dream is every girls dream ... To become famous!'
- Millie, age 15 - 'I didn't want it to end. I was so into it that when I got to the end I wanted to carry on reading.'
- Amy Laws, age 14 - 'I really enjoyed this book it was funny and I could relate to it.'
The it Girl by Katy Birchall
Everybody wants to be a famous It Girl. Don't they?
Anna Huntley's aims in life:
1) Must keep my two lovely new (and only) school friends by not doing anything in usual manner of socially inept dork and outcast.
2) Train Dog (my labrador) to high-five. This is probably the most ambitious life goal on this list.
3) Do not set the school's Deputy Queen Bee mean girl's hair on fire (again).
4) Work out whether 2) and 3) constitute being socially inept or outcastish.
5) Go to Africa and give out rice.
6) To hide in a cupboard FOR LIFE with Dog now Dad is engaged to one of the most famous actresses EVER, the paparazzi want to spash my face all over the papers and everyone in school (and The World) is soon to discover the level of my social ineptitude.
7) Is rice a bit done now? Maybe I can give out chocolate in Africa too. I do like chocolate. Must work out how to do it from the cupboard...
'A barrel of laughs from the beginning... it was so nice to read something a little bit lighter and so, so much funnier than the more serious books I've read recently. This was the perfect pick me up and I am beyond excited that there's a second IT Girl book in the pipeline.'
.com 'Full of laugh out loud moments. Katy Birchall is a new talent in the YA world and I can't wait to read her next book.
'Fans of Geek Girl will love this!'
'Anna made me laugh throughout the book, whether it be because of the situations she gets herself into or the daft thoughts running through her head, and she's a worthy, lighthearted teen heroine for the John Green generation'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Katy Birchall
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
7th May 2015
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen