Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures
Written by Maggie Stiefvater, Jackson Pearce
Part of the Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures Series
Lovereading4kids Price £7.19
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2015 Book of the Month Pip Bartlett can talk to animals, which is impressive enough, but her world is full of magical creatures, meaning she’s conversing with unicorns, griffins, hobgrackles et al. Following an unfortunate incident with some unicorns at school, Pip goes to stay with her aunt, who’s a vet. All is fine until there’s an influx of Fuzzles – cute little creatures with an unfortunate tendency to burst into flames when upset. Pip and her friend Tomas must help them before S.M.A.C.K.E.D. (Supernatural/Magical Animal Care, Keeping & Education Department) instigate a cull. The two authors are stars of YA fantasy but clearly enjoy writing for younger children and this fun, sparky adventure with its double helping of animal magic will delight its audience. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'A fun and magical story full of loveable characters and unusual creatures.'
- Evie Aconley, age 8 - 'A very descriptive book about magical creatures. I really enjoyed reading the story.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 9 - 'Mysterious and packed full of magic!'
- Lucas, age 10 - 'A descriptive guide about magical creatures which is funny yet informative.'
- Hannah Minton, age 9 - 'This book was funny and very descriptive. I really recommend it.'
- Eliza Kinder, age 7 - 'This story is all about a little girl called Pip who absolutely adores magical creatures, and if, like me, you also like magic, mythical creatures and adventure, then this is the book for you!'
- Elizabeth, age 8 - 'I love this story it’s about a girl called Pip and she has loads of adventures and meats loads of magic animals. My favourite animal was a unicorn and the Pegasus.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'Fabulous book like no other I have read.'
- Rohan Delamere, age 9 - 'An amazing story about a girl who can talk to magic creatures who is forced to use her powers for good!'
- Rose Hopkins, age 9 - 'I think Pip Bartlett’s Guide to Magical Creatures is wonderful.'
- Lucy Keaveny, age 9 - 'Lovely, quirky drawings and exciting adventures. Imagine having an Aunt who is a vet for magical creatures, Pip has but sometimes things go slightly wrong.'
- Heather Greenan, age 11 - 'An excellent book for all ages.'
Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures by Maggie Stiefvater, Jackson Pearce
Pip is a girl who can talk to magical creatures. Her aunt is a vet for magical creatures. And her new friend Tomas is allergic to most magical creatures. When things go amok and they often go amok - Pip consults Jeffrey Higgleston's Guide to Magical Creatures, a reference work that Pip finds herself constantly amending. Because dealing with magical creatures like unicorns, griffins, and fuzzles doesn't just require book knowledge - it requires hands-on experience and thinking on your feet.
For example, when fuzzles (which have an awful habit of bursting into flame when they're agitated) invade your town, it's not enough to know what the fuzzles are. Pip and Tomas also must trace the fuzzles' agitation to its source, and in doing so, save the whole town.
About the Author
Maggie Stiefvater, Jackson Pearce
More books by Maggie Stiefvater, Jackson Pearce
Author's Facebook Latest
Scholastic Press an imprint of Scholastic
28th April 2015
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch