Charlie Merrick's Misfits in I'm a Nobody, Get Me Out of Here!
Written by Dave Cousins
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The under-12’s football team known as The Misfits are looking forward to a week at a football training camp, but their manager clicked the wrong link on the website and booked them into a bush survival skills camp instead. Challenged by a girl called Magpie to beat her team to the top of the leaderboard Charlie Merrick feels the old competitive tingle, but can he and the Misfits cope on this kind of playing field, or are they bigger underdogs than ever? The effort tests their friendship and themselves. The story is both gripping and comic, while illustrations ranging from sketches to cartoon strips and even some illustrated survival tips add to the enjoyment and make this particularly good for reluctant readers. ~ Andrea Reece
You can read all about Charlie Merrick and his football team in Charlie Merrick's Misfits in Fouls, Friends and My World Cup
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'This book is incredibly funny...I got lots of useful tips from reading this book and made lots of things from it. The instructions were very useful. I would recommend this book to everyone!'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'A hilarious book filled with humour from start to finish. Written in the style of Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates. I loved this book so much I have read it twice already.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'Imagine turning up at a survival camp when you thought you were going on a football trip. This is a funny book. The main character kept panicking. There are some good survival tips and good pictures.'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 10 - 'This is an extremely exciting book that makes you nervous at some parts.'
- Sam Brittain, age 8 - 'This is a fun and exiting book that is full of suspense. Great illustrations and survival tips by Survival Clive.'
- Ross Dawson, age 11 - 'This book is not only an amazing adventure story, but it includes a range of epic illustrations! You should definitely grab yourself a copy and enjoy getting to know Charlie Merrick and his misfit friends.'
- Monty Benton, age 7 - 'I loved this book! It is a funny story with lots of funny pictures all the way through.'
- Charlie Hopkins, age 7 - 'Football is NOTHING like survival skills and that is exactly what Charlie and his football team found out!'
- Charlie Swan, age 8 - 'This book was extremely funny. It is about a boy named Charlie and his team the Misfits. They accidentally stay at a survival camp when really they just wanted to play football.'
- Melissa Broomfield, age 8 - 'This is a great book, it’s funny and even gives you great advice on tying knots and finding your way without a compass.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'I enjoyed this book because it’s action-packed and I wanted to read on. I give it 101/100.'
Charlie Merrick's Misfits in I'm a Nobody, Get Me Out of Here! by Dave Cousins
'HELP! Somebody get me out of here! This is all a HUGE MISTAKE! I can't believe we ended up in this mess! Well ...actually I can. To be honest I'm not at all surprised. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that ALWAYS happens to us!'
Charlie and his gang have ended up at the 'GO WILD!' survival camp for a whole week. Camp leader Survival Clive splits them into teams and dumps them in the middle of the forest. They've got three days to make it back to base camp. But there's a rumour of a wild beast on the loose; rival team, Wild Warriors, are pinching their stuff; and Charlie and Nature don't mix! If they're going to make it back home, the Misfits are going to have to use all their skill and guile to survive.
Told in Charlie's own hilarious words and doodles, this book is perfect for fans of Tom Gates and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
'Charlie Merrick's Misfits is a very exciting book that makes you want to turn the pages constantly ... I don't really like football but I love this book.' Guardian reader review
'This book features lots of cool stuff inside, like illustrations, comic strips, trading cards and match reports ... There's something here for everyone! 8.5/10 stars' - Wondrous Reads blog
'The book is brilliantly designed, a cornucopia of kickabout chaos' Read it Daddy Blog
About the Author
More books by Dave Cousins
Author's Facebook Latest
Oxford University Press
4th June 2015
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley