Written by Megan Rix
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the 2015 Red House Children's Book Award Two elephants and an old Border collie are the stars of Megan Rix’s wonderfully heart-warming new animal story. It’s 1917 and as the First World War rages, Cullen’s Circus is forced to close. With Albert their keeper gone, Shanti is forcibly parted from her calf Tara in a heart-wrenching scene. But Harvey the collie won’t leave the little elephant and the two set out to find Shanti. The animals are real characters, their loyalty and bravery in stark contrast to some – though by no means all – of the humans. Tara and Harvey’s journey feels completely credible and there won’t be a dry eye in the house for the final chapters. There are cameo appearances for Beatrix Potter, Elgar and Houdini, but the story – as with all Megan Rix’s books – belongs to the animals. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to review an earlier title by Megan Rix, The Bomber Dog. You can read their comments below or click here to read the full reviews.
- Lee Dobinson, age 10 - 'If you enjoy war stories you’ll love reading about what life was like for animals that were used during WWII. Megan Rix has written a winner here.'
- Mollie O’Loghlen, aged 10 - ' I give it 5 stars and have recommended it to all my friends.'
- Alice D'Angelo, age 14 - 'I sped through this book and soon lost consciousness of turning the pages and became part of the flow of the story.'
- Adam Graham, age 10 - 'This book is a gripping story about a man named Nathan and his beloved dog Grey who are almost inseparable even though they have only been together for a matter of weeks.'
- James Goodall, age 9 - 'A brave journey across a war torn country - how far would you go for friendship? This book is so cool...I recommend you read it!'
- Benjy Randall - 'The Bomber Dog is a super exciting book...I was totally absorbed in the story and found myself reading it at every opportunity - even when I was doing my teeth! Overall I really loved the book and would definitely recommend it - it is probably one of my top choices this year so far. I am planning to read Megan Rix's other books as soon as I possibly can!'
- Sam Harper, age 9 a perfect mix of heart warming friendship and thrilling adventure. I've never read anything like it and it has inspired me to learn more about the lives of military dogs during the war. I can't wait to read Megan Rix's other books but, in the mean time, I'll be reading this fantastic book again!
The Runaways by Megan Rix
It is a brand new animal adventure for 8+ readers set during World War One from classic-in-the-making and bestselling author, Megan Rix. This book is perfect for fans of Michael Morpurgo and Sarah Lean.
Two friends, fighting their way home ...Shanti and her calf Tara are beautiful circus elephants. Harvey is the faithful old collie who leads the show. In war they will perform their most death-defying trick yet. When the First World War seizes Europe, Cullen's Circus is forced to close. The men are sent to fight and the animals are torn apart from their keepers, and each other. But while Shanti must help on a farm, it's little Tara who faces a far worse fate...Separated too soon from her mother, Tara's life is in danger. Only old, brave Harvey can bring them back together. And so side-by-side, dog and elephant set out on an extraordinary journey across the English countryside - but can the unlikely friends find Shanti in time? But can the unlikely pair reach Shanti in time?
Praise for Megan Rix:
'If you love Michael Morpurgo, you will enjoy this Express
A moving tale told with warmth, kindliness and lashings of good sense that lovers of Dick King-Smith will especially appreciate' The Times
'Every now and then a writer comes along with a unique way of storytelling ... Meet Megan Rix ... her novels are deeply moving and will strike a chord with animal lovers' LoveReading
A moving tale told with warmth, kindliness and lashings of good sense that lovers of Dick King-Smith will especially appreciate. The Times.
A perfect story for animal lovers and lovers of adventure stories. Travelling Book Company
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Megan Rix
Author's Facebook Latest
Puffin Books an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
7th May 2015
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family