Written by A. J. Steiger
Lovereading4kids Price £7.19
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
June 2015 Debut of the Month An enthralling and profoundly exciting dystopian novel; set aside plenty of reading time, as once you start you just won’t want to stop. It’s fascinating when an author explores a possible future, this particular future feels as though it could be just around the corner. The concerns of mental trauma, violence and social unrest exist today; ‘Mindwalker' is set after a war involving internal terrorism and the state has intimate and invasive access to peoples minds in order to stop violence from occurring. Lain is sensitive, strongly principled and becomes involved in a thrilling race for the truth, she has a captivating romantic interest, and rather than detracting from the storyline, it cleverly adds an intensity. The novel roars towards the ending, quietens then settles, as you turn the final page you can’t help but feel that a ferocious storm is gathering and waiting for release. This absorbing and thought provoking read is a gloriously impressive debut. ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Delilah Acworth - 'Mindwalker was an adrenaline fuelled novel, containing death, romance and destruction which amalgamated into a passionate fight for mental freedom.
- Farah Alam - 'it had the components you generally see with dystopians but it really makes you question today's views on mental illness.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, that was mindblowing. Captured me right from the start, couldn't put the book down.'
- Stacie Ball - 'Loved this book, absolutely brilliant dystopian debut and one that I might not have seen if not for Lovereading4kids.'
- Natalie Hunter - 'I absolutely adored this book and couldn't put it down.The characters were engaging and realistic. The plot was exciting and full of so many twists and turns.'
- Lynsey - 'This novel is incredibly thought-provoking and a brilliant choice for a Book Club or Read Along...A.J. Steiger explores the misunderstood, and often stigmatised, issue of mental health from an interesting, futuristic perspective.'
- Amy Laws - 'This dystopian novel was amazing- I literally couldn't put it down! I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends.'
- Izzy Read - 'an interesting new dystopian novel with science, war and a corrupt government, much like existing novels like Divergent.'
- Katie Miller - 'Great! Interesting and intriguing and just plain brilliant. I love this book so much. I would give it an award.'
- Ella Hollingshead - 'Lain is a clone of her father, she has an unpleasant job and is about to discover her life is full of manipulation and lies.'
- Jodi Coffman - 'one of the best books I have ever read! I couldn’t put it down!'
- Edel Waugh - 'Lain's life centered around her work and school until the day she meets Stephen then all she believed in and trusted starts to crack then shatters.'
Mindwalker by A. J. Steiger
I've never killed anyone. I've never been attacked by a mob and beaten within an inch of my life. I've never watched a child die in front of me. But I've lived through the memory of all those things.
It is the future. There is no war, no social unrest, no painful memories...and no freedom. The government maintains peace and tranquility by brain-wiping all disturbing experiences. At just seventeen, Lain Fisher is the youngest therapist at the Institute to master the art of Mindwalking - using a direct neural link to erase her clients' traumatic memories. But when a troubled classmate asks for her help, Lain's superiors warn her that Steven's scars are too deep, the risk is too great.
Yet as she defies their warnings and explores Steven's memories, it becomes clear that something is very, very wrong. Is the Institute really an organisation of healing, or one of manipulation and state control? And is there more to Lain's father's suicide than meets the eye? Meet Lain, and follow her into a dystopian world of memory modification, and a society of surveillance, stigma and secrets.
'a fascinating concept with totally believable characters, all handled with intelligence and skill'. SFX'
About the Author
A. J. Steiger
More books by A. J. Steiger
4th June 2015
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11