The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Devil's Hound
Written by Vicki Lockwood
Part of the The Magnificent Lizzie Brown Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Exploring the adventure and thrill of the Victorian circus setting, the series is exceptionally well written, leaving the reader hanging for every page, and desperate to see Lizzie triumph in the face of adversity. It’s got a rich mix of historical content, circus adventure and detective story, which should appeal to fans of Sherlock Holmes, steampunk and anyone who likes a strong, feisty heroine saving the day.
Our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to review The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Mysterious Phantom, the first in this new series. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Jennifer Towler, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed the book, it was really good because it had a mystery in it, which I was always trying to figure out...'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'A suspenseful and exciting mystery story that I couldn't put down!...This book, in my eyes, should be an instant bestseller. One of my favourite books ever.'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'This historical mystery/adventure story set in Victorian London, has lots of 'cliff hangers', making it compulsive reading, I couldn't put it down!'
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'Page turner, mysterious, intriguing...I give this book 9 out of 10.'
- Rose Hopkins, age 9 - 'The book was set in the Victorian era and my lack of knowledge for that time made it even more interesting...I can’t wait for the 2nd story.'
- Cailin McGhee, age 12 - 'The story is very intense and interesting, making you want to read more. There is an unexpected plot twist at the end, which causes even more drama.'
- Judith Smith, age 9 1/2 - 'I think this book is absolutely incredible. I couldn't put the book down, it was exciting, sad and tense. I kept telling my friends the really good bits.'
- Jenny Bridgeman, age 9 - 'The book I thought was amazing. I think the book was the type of book I like best: the mystery, adventure, magic and detective sort.'
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'A very big mystery which kept me guessing right to the end...This book is very interesting and describes circus life of the time very well.'
- Felicity Wilcox, age 12 - 'Amazing plot twists, loveable characters, brilliant page turning book. When I first got this book I fell in love with it: such amazing cover art. I started reading it that night.'
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 11 - 'Lizzie has a father who is a thief...he also gets her to steal for him. When she runs away from him and joins a circus she finds out that she has a power.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 9 - 'A great mystery story! I really enjoyed reading this book although it was a bit scary so I didn't read it at night!'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Devil's Hound by Vicki Lockwood
‘Lizzie’s blood chilled as the sound went right through her. It was the baying of a hound…’
A clown falls ill, the star performer is injured, and tickets for the show aren’t selling. Is it because of the terrifying dog said to haunt a nearby graveyard? After a chilling message from beyond the grave, circus fortune-teller Lizzie Brown decides to confront the so called ‘devil’s hound’ once and for all.
But will Lizzie Brown save the day?
“Lockwood’s spirited tale is filled with colourful characters, beginning with determined
Lizzie herself, and a steady sense of suspense and mystery pushes the story forward.”
“A cast of likeable circus people, a spunky heroine and a twisty mystery that will keep
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Vicki Lockwood
7th May 2015
Curious Fox is an imprint of Curious Fox
Curious Fox is an exciting imprint for young readers of all ages. Our mission is to publish imaginative, creative, and jaw-droppingly enjoyable books that will take readers on a journey through new adventures and experiences. Inspired by the curious nature of the fox, the imprint is designed to spark the curiosity of young readers, from beautiful picture books; un-put-down-able middle grade series to thought-provoking YA novels. Curious Fox is also the official publisher of Warner Brothers brands including DC Comics Justice League, Looney Tunes and top dog Scooby-Doo.
Publisher's RSS feed
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk