Stop Those Monsters!
Written by Steve Cole
Illustrated by Jim Field
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Bob has always loved the idea of monsters so when his house is picked up by a giant whirlwind and, Wizard-of-Oz like, thrown into an underground world populated by the bizarrest creatures, he’s 36% excited, 32% full of wonder, and only 32% afraid. It’s exactly this kind of thing that makes him such a good narrator– no matter how weird things get (very), Bob makes sure the reader knows exactly what’s going on! As he travels deeper into monster land, Bob makes some nutty monster friends, including a Gorgon - called Zola – geddit? - and a toga-wearing, Ninja-kicking hamster called Verity. Cole’s invention and comic style never flags, and Jim Field’s illustrations are worth the cover price alone! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Steve Cole is a brilliant author and Stop Those Monsters is his best book yet. It was 39% exciting, 42% amazing and 19% absolutely hilarious. I 100% loved it!'
- Beth Urquhart, age 8 - 'This is a very funny adventure story, it has a lot of humour in it.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Brilliant book. Really funny. Not like anything I have read before. Imagine a world full of monsters and you as the only human. Highly recommend this book to anyone over the age of 8.'
- Emma Baird, age 12 - 'full of humour and exciting adventures with the jokes and sound effects causing you to laugh out loud at the fun.'
- Georgina Loring, age 10 - 'I love this book and I think it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read! Get reading it NOW!'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'I couldn't put this book down, it is great! I like the way it seems like the monsters and the human boy Bob are doomed and then suddenly…'
- Oliver Knight, age 11 - 'The way the book is written is for the purpose to make the reader wake up a little and make them laugh when say a word is written in bold.'
- Dylan Yallop, age 11 - 'I recommend this book for ages 8 under because there is monsters and it could be an adventure.'
- Isaac East, age 9 - 'This book is about a boy who disappears underground and discovers a world bursting with monsters. At first he is really scared but then he realises that some of the monsters are nice.'
- Elliot Tredant - 'A very funny and silly story for kids of all ages.'
- Melissa Broomfield - 'The monster ideas are funny with their unusual powers such as being able to turn someone into porridge definitely a different take on the normal monster powers.'
Stop Those Monsters! by Steve Cole
I'm Bob, a human boy stuck in a land of MONSTERS. I'm trying to get out with the help of three - count them, three - incredible creatures. There's Verity, who looks like a giant hamster. Alfie, who's about as scary as a bag of crisps. And Zola, a gorgon who can't turn people to stone (though she can manage cardboard at a push). We're on a crazy, death-defying quest to escape with our lives.
And all around us, the cry goes up: STOP THOSE MONSTERS!!!
'I love that I can take my kids to meet their favourite authors and make books come
so alive. Steve Cole a joy today. Thanks @edbookfest' Sarah Brown, wife of ex PM
'A cracking read for boys' The Sun
"In a fantastically improbable but sustained plot . . .This joke-filled story with zany
illustrations is underpinned by a serious theme' Children's Book of the Week, The
'The humour is perfectly suited to a young boy… good books for boys are harder to
find, and this one is truly exceptional' The Bookbag
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Steve Cole
Author's Facebook Latest
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
4th June 2015
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15