Because You'll Never Meet Me
Written by Leah Thomas
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2015 Debut of the Month The story of an unusual but increasingly close friendship, this is a totally original and engrossing novel. Ollie and Moritz strike up a friendship through letters. They are far from each other geographically, but could never meet anyway: Ollie has a strange disability which makes him allergic to any form of electricity and Moritz has a pacemaker. Moritz has other disabilities too which have made him pretty much an outcast at school, while in his necessarily remote cabin Ollie has just one person he can call a friend. Not just their strange situations, but their characters come through the letters they write to each other - these are honest, revealing, sometimes heartbreakingly so. It’s impossible not to be caught up in their lives. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'This book is truly astonishing. I love how the two main characters, Ollie and Moritz, are so complex and so extraordinary, yet so different. They’re both unlike any characters I have read about.'
- Maisie Sadler, age 13 - 'I would defiantly recommend 'Because You'll Never Meet Me' and I believe the author has written a brilliant book!'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 12 - '‘Because You'll Never Meet Me’ is a brilliant book and I would recommend it to everyone. It shows how the bond of friendship can lift anybody's spirits.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 12 - 'Out of 10 I would rate this book 9.99999999 recurring. I loved it.'
- Freya Moore, age 12 - 'I thought that ‘Because You'll Never Meet Me’ was a really engaging book.'
- Lucie Harrison - 'I could barely put this book down, I really love the whole idea. I would recommend this book to anyone!'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a tender story that really makes you appreciate good health and the good friends that stick by you during the hard times.'
- J Craddock - 'An interesting, unexpected debut.‘Because You'll Never Meet Me’ introduces a new, original voice to YA.'
- Amanda Gray, age 20 - 'It was refreshing to read something featuring characters with voices that made them feel so real to me. I loved it. I absolutely loved it.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas
Ollie and Moritz are two teenagers who will never meet. Each of them lives with a life-affecting illness. Contact with electricity sends Ollie into debilitating seizures, while Moritz has a heart defect and is kept alive by an electronic pacemaker. If they did meet, Ollie would seize, but turning off the pacemaker would kill Moritz.
Through an exchange of letters, the two boys develop a strong bond of friendship which becomes a lifeline during dark times - until Moritz reveals that he holds the key to their shared, sinister past, and has been keeping it from Ollie all along.
About the Author
More books by Leah Thomas
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
2nd July 2015
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7