Fire Colour One
Written by Jenny Valentine
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Longlisted for the UKLA 2017 Book Award and Shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2016.
Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Year 2015 Guardian Prize winning author Jenny Valentine’s long-awaited new novel is clever, beautifully written, full of ideas. It tells the story of sixteen-year-old Iris: lonely and desperately unhappy, she finds self-expression and release through starting fires. Her vain, shallow mother, one of the least sympathetic fictional characters ever, has always told Iris that her father abandoned them when she was a little girl. This is a lie and he has in fact been searching for his daughter all her life. They are reunited, but only because her father is dying. The weeks they have together are spent learning about each other – they share a love of art for example, something that Iris’s father has been able to indulge. Just as the beauty and truth of her father’s paintings outweigh any monetary value, so Iris’s love and growing understanding transcends their short time together. Daring to examine what is really important, this original novel is full of insight and intelligence. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Emily Kinder, age 14 - 'Brilliant...This book has endless layers that unravel as the story continues, leaving you guessing until the very end. It’s sweet and thought provoking, with an extremely satisfying ending, and I’d recommend it to absolutely anyone.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'The last few chapters of the book were sheer brilliance – I can’t wait to re-read this book, and I am delighted that Jenny Valentine is back.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'This is an amazing book! Loved it so much!'
- Chloe Mcilroy - 'This was a really good book that kept me gripped from beginning to end. It featured interesting characters and an original plot which was exciting the whole way through.'
- Tammy Hall, age 15 - Benfield School - 'It’s a good story the way the plot unfolds and the ending is unexpected but very satisfying.'
- Edel Waugh - 'I would recommend this to everyone.'
- Emma Hughes - 'Fire Colour One follows Iris, as she finds her real father on death's door. Their shared love of art brings the pair closer than Iris could expect, and leaves her with a surprise that no one could expect.'
- Jessica - 'This book is amazing and eye opening. It has changed my whole perspective of life. Overall this book was amazing!'
- Amy Laws, age 14 - ''Fire Colour One' was absolutely amazing; I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation.'
Fire Colour One by Jenny Valentine
Iris's father, Ernest, is at the end of his life and she hasn't even met him. Her best friend, Thurston, is somewhere on the other side of the world. Everything she thought she knew is up in flames. Now her mother has declared war and means to get her hands on Ernest's priceless art collection. But Ernest has other ideas. There are things he wants Iris to know after he's gone. And the truth has more than one way of coming to light.
'A beautifully written story, soaked in love and important things.' Steven Camden, author of TAPE
“Stunning. Rich in prose, with a profound depth to the characters and themes. Extremely moving.” Sarah Lean, author of A Dog Called Homeless
“One of the very best books I've read all year. I finished this and immediately turned back to the beginning again.” Robin Stevens, author of Murder Most Unladylike
“I loved the unconventional nature of this book. Each character is vivid and unique;
intriguing and intricate.” Guardian Children’s Books review.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 13
More books by Jenny Valentine
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
1st July 2015
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch