Borgon the Axeboy and the Whispering Temple
Written by Kjartan Poskitt
Illustrated by Philip Reeve
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
As readers of this smart and funny series will know, Borgon the barbarian is totally fearless, a useful person to have on your side in a tight situation. In this latest adventure he and his friends Hunjah, Grizzy and Mungoid come up against some unscrupulous robbers in a run-down temple dedicated to the Great Conk, the picnic god. Things are looking pretty bleak for our heroes but Borgon and Conk’s combined powers save the day. Witty and inventive this is a very satisfying story for young readers and Philip Reeve’s illustrations add to the fun. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, Borgon the Axeboy and the Dangerous Breakfast. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Isobel Jeffries, age 8 - 'Warning! This book contains axes! Heads might roll!'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 8 - 'This story is about a barbarian called Borgon who goes out in search of dangerous breakfast to impress his parents. I loved this story because I liked the main character who was a bit clumsy.'
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'Borgon the Axeboy and the Dangerous Breakfast is a great book filled with dragons, fun and danger!'
- Tomasz, age 9 - 'If you like fire breathing dragons and adventure stories with funny characters who make loud noises then you'll love this book.'
- Daniel Harrison, age 7 - 'I liked the book because of the pictures and the story.'
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'This is a really funny book...There are a lot of really disgusting bits in this book which I think would make the boys in my class laugh...I WOULD NOT eat custard made out of dragons' toenails!'
- Rohan Delamere, age 8 - 'This book is about a boy called Borgon who wants to go on an adventure to find the most dangerous breakfast ever but his annoying neighbour tags along.What will happen next?'
- Angelina Nisco, age 7 - 'My favourite character is Borgon, the hero of the story, because even though he is a barbarian who eats disgusting food and has an axe and wants to kill dragons for a dangerous breakfast, also he is really funny.'
- Tom Greenan, age 8 - 'You will definitely like this if you like books about adventure, heroes and dragons.'
- Isaac East age 8 - 'This is a really good book which is very funny and made me laugh. There is a mischievous girl who plays tricks on Borgon to get him into trouble.'
- Erica Motoc, age 7 - 'The book is full of adventure and very engaging, it makes you think what if one morning, one dangerous breakfast is waiting for you in the kitchen?'
- Jack Parkes, age 7 - 'This is a very funny story and I enjoyed reading it.'
Borgon the Axeboy and the Whispering Temple by Kjartan Poskitt
Borgon the Axeboy, barbarian extraordinaire, is back for another adventure! When Borgon and his friends the savages Hunjah and Mungoid stumble across a ruined temple in the Lost Desert, they wonder, is there treasure inside? Annoyingly, they need Grizzy's help to get in and find out. But can they dodge a dangerous blue rattlesnake, fire wasps and stop the evil Zaffar from stealing the treasure...? This series is set to have you rolling in the desert with laughter.
'Provides a perfect blend of smart daftness.’ The Bookbag
‘This comic book style is perfectly pitched at 7-9 year olds.’ The School Librarian
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Kjartan Poskitt
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
2nd July 2015
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale