The Grunts on the Run
Written by Philip Ardagh
Illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Part of the The Grunts Series
Lovereading4kids Price £7.19
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The Grunts - Mr and Mrs and adopted son Sunny - are back, and as delightfully repulsive as ever. Yes, they wash with cheese (if there’s no soap to hand), eat roadkill, and argue with one another all the time (‘Choking hazard’ ‘Fly tip’ just some of the terms of abuse hurled) but they’re strangely lovable nonetheless. This new adventure sees them on the run from a group of criminals who hold the Grunts responsible for their misfortunes and culminates in a very funny chase involving a tractor, bunny slippers, a mummy on a sack and an enormous man in a bird suit. All ends happily for the Grunts, and there’s even a surprise revelation about Sunny’s background. There are jokes to appeal to readers of all ages while the author’s asides alone are worth the cover price. Axel Scheffler’s illustrations catch the daftness of the story perfectly. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, The Grunts in Trouble.
- Edgar Perez, age 6 - 'In general I thought the book was very good, funny and amusing. I would definitely read more books about these characters.' Read full review >
- Rodrigo Davies, age 7 - 'The Grunts in Trouble by Philip Ardagh is absolutely superb! This book made me laugh so much, I couldn’t stop reading it!' Read full review >
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 6 - 'I liked this book about the Grunt family because it was funny.' Read full review >
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'I enjoyed the book because it’s funny and I wanted to read on. I recommend it to free readers like me!' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'This book is dead funny, and I stayed up late to keep reading it, even when my Mummy wanted me to go to sleep.' Read full review >
- Robyn Loveless, age 8 - 'A funny story with wacky and crazy characters. Both boys and girls who are fans of Mr Gum will love it.' Read full review >
- Gabriella Chatham, age 7 - 'The Grunts in Trouble is a hilariously laugh out loud story about a crazy family.' Read full review >
- Chloe Fernandes, age 8 - 'A hilarious story about a crazy family called The Grunts. They get up to a lot of mischief involving a large elephant and some spectacular fireworks!' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'The Grunts are a really funny family. They live in a caravan which they made themselves, they stole their son from a washing line and they are always getting up to mischief. Really funny book.' Read full review >
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'The Grunts is a funny story of an unusual family and their even more unusual search for an elephant.' Read full review >
- Ollie Wright, age 8 - 'This book is funny, full of trouble and excitement. I liked all the jokes in the story, and all of the bees! Oh, did I mention the bees? I should warn you about the bees!' Read full review >
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'A hilariously funny book. I laughed from beginning to end.' Read full review >
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Grunts on the Run by Philip Ardagh
Over the years, the Grunts have made more than a few enemies. But fortunately they're all safely behind bars. Or are they? There's been a prison break-out, and three of them are after REVENGE. It's time for the Grunts to go On the Run...This last book brings back some familiar faces from the series and solves a couple of mysteries too...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Philip Ardagh
Nosy Crow Ltd
3rd September 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High