A Thousand Nights
Written by E.K. Johnston
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 Set against a vividly drawn desert backdrop, this spellbinding novel about love, self-sacrifice and the power of stories shimmers as vibrantly as a queen’s finely threaded robes. When cruel king Lo-Melkhiin arrives in her village, the eloquent narrator of this expertly woven novel knows that he will take her beloved, beautiful sister to be his next wife. And so she makes the ultimate sacrifice and submits herself, in the knowledge that Lo-Melkhiin has murdered over three hundred wives. But the king knows what she’s done and is fascinated by his new wife’s fearlessness, and she survives her first night in his opulent court. Over time, a curious connection develops between them, and the young queen realises that her dreams and stories seem able to take on lives on their own, and possess a power that’s perhaps even strong enough to cast out a monster… Exploring the story behind the tales of The Arabian Nights and the woman who told them, legendary Arabic queen, Scheherazade, this unique novel will haunt readers long after the final page has been turned. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Catherine Bryce, age 21 - 'Superb book taking the reader into Arabian Nights genre and keeping you there.'
- Georgina Rowe, age 17 - 'I loved E. K. Johnston's retelling of Scheherazade's story. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys high fantasy worlds or fairy tales, as it was the perfect combination of the two.'
- Charnell Vevers - 'If you are looking for a magical, mystical read with strong female characters and vivid world building, then A Thousand Nights is the book for you.'
- Amelia White, age 15 - 'Very complicated read! Make sure you read it twice to get your head round it.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'Generally a good book but just not for me.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'I read this book all in one sitting, because I was glued to the pages! I thought this book was absolutely brilliant, and though I found some of the terms confusing, the storyline was very good.'
- Emma Hughes - 'I really enjoyed this book.'
- Lorraine Baker - 'This book is a fabulous read with a story that flows along beautifully - I did not want it to end and have already recommended it to friends. A wonderful and magical read.'
- Dahabo Wacays, age 17 - 'Ghouls? Arabian - nights themed? Strong female protagonist? Yes, please! From the first word, this tale gripped me in and refused to let me go until the very last word!'
- Katie, age 14 - 'Wow! This is an amazing love story filled with the most beautiful descriptions of the desert.'
- Laura, age 18 - 'A great fantasy story, I enjoyed reading it.'
- Kush Melwani, age 14 - 'I tried to like this book. I really did...'
- Laura Delve - 'This is deeply magical and powerful story. It is one that will seep into your bones and stay with you long after you have finished reading.'
- Amanda Gray, age 20 - 'A Thousand Nights is so uniquely written has a romance that is more like a battle than a love story, with a fierce leading lady with so much inner strength and wisdom; it just sings to my heart.'
- Monisah Ali, age 17 - 'A Thousand Nights wasn't like any other love story I've read before. As a retelling of Arabian Nights, it was a unique and intriguing read.'
A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston
Lo-Melkhiin killed three hundred girls before he came to my village, looking for a wife. When Lo-Melkhiin - a formidable king - arrives at her desert home, she knows that he will take her beautiful sister for a wife. Desperate to save her sister from certain death, she makes the ultimate sacrifice - leaving home and family behind to live with a fearful man. But it seems that a strange magic flows between her and Lo-Melkhiin, and night after night, she survives. Finding power in storytelling, the words she speaks are given strange life of their own. Little things, at first: a dress from home, a vision of her sister. But she dreams of bigger, more terrible magic: power enough to save a king...if only she can stop her heart from falling for a monster.
Set against a harsh desert backdrop, A Thousand Nights by E K Johnston is an evocative tale of love, mystery and magic that would not feel out of place if Scheherazade herself were telling it.
And perhaps she is. . .
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by E.K. Johnston
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
22nd October 2015
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi