Written by Jenn Bennett
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Joanne Owen's Pick of the Year 2015 - August 2015 Debut of the Month A chance meeting between two teenagers on San Francisco’s night bus sparks one of the most luminously-drawn relationships in contemporary YA. When
Beatrix (‘too weird for jocks and not weird enough for hipsters’) and Jack (‘all retro and rockabilly and cool’) encounter one another aboard the Owl bus, the attraction is immediate, and overwhelmingly powerful. Both are talented artists – Bex is obsessed with anatomy and wants to be a medical illustrator, while Jack is a street artist – and both are thrilled when they track one another down. It’s not long before Bex works out that enigmatic Jack is the notorious artist who’s wanted by the police for spray-painting the city's landmarks. But it turns out that this is the least of his secrets. As the couple spend more time together and fall in love, more of Jack's family secrets are revealed and Bex begins to wonder if she’ll ever know who he really is. But they’re in too deep and can’t not see one another, even when their parents forbid it. The truths bring the young couple even closer and they support one another through some incredibly poignant life landmarks. Ultra-cool, utterly unique and ideal for mature readers who are on the brink of adulthood, Night Owls is a gloriously life-affirming novel about falling in love, family love, growing up and daring to be who you are. ~ Joanne Owen
Jane Griffiths, Senior Commissioning Editor said 'Night Owls has cast a spell over the whole Simon & Schuster Children's team. It's totally unique, unforgettably poignant, and we couldn't be more excited to be publishing it.'
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Charnell Vevers - 'This is a stunning, moving and beautifully written contemporary YA novel and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. Thank you so much for the chance to review.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 17 - 'This book has easily become one of my favourite books and that doesn’t happen very often.'
- Alex McCalla, age 15 - 'Night Owls by Jenn Bennett really touched my heart. Instead of being a book about a happy and successful family, it was the opposite. One thing about this book, is it has the most amazing twists.'
- Amelia White, age 15 - 'Secrets sometimes make a person but once you unlock them you unlock that persons true personality and sometimes why they are the way they are.'
- Kezia Deakin, age 15 - 'This book has gifted me with so many quotes for either inspiration or an assured laugh whenever I am feeling down! It is a very original, funny and astounding read.'
- Jade, age 14 - 'An unusual story that will linger in your mind for a long time.'
- Millie, age 17 - ''Night Owls' is a short, sweet romance novel. I found it the perfect read for curling up in a chair and losing yourself on a rainy day.'
- Hannah Ward - 'I found this a really engrossing read and it I read it in one sitting as it is only 294 pages long.'
- Natalie, age 18 - 'A beautiful love story.'
- Chloe McIlroy - 'This is a brilliant book with a unique, yet relatable, storyline which hooks the reader from beginning to end.'
- Sarah Smith - 'A love story that overcomes diversity and misconceptions.'
- Emma Hughes - 'A fantastic book- I recommend it!'
- Louise Allan - 'I was sad when I had finished this book as I enjoyed reading it so much. I would definitely recommend Night Owls and I hope that Jenn Bennett continues the story of Bex and Jack in a sequel. A definite thumbs up!'
- Jenny Duffy, age 22 - 'This is an engaging and memorable read, with nuanced characters and well-developed relationships. Night Owls is Jenn Bennett's first YA novel, I hope there are more to come!'
- Laura Delve - 'An absolutely beautiful love story that will stay with you long after you have finished reading.'
Night Owls by Jenn Bennett
Meeting Jack on the Owl - San Francisco's night bus - turns Beatrix's world upside down. Jack is charming, wildly attractive ...and possibly one of San Francisco's most notorious graffiti artists. On midnight rides and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who this enigmatic boy really is. But Jack is hiding much more - and can she uncover the truth that leaves him so wounded? A unique and profoundly moving novel, Night Owls will linger in your memory long after the final page.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 14
More books by Jenn Bennett
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
13th August 2015
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch