Written by Nicola Yoon
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2015 Debut of the Month.
A great new debut about the thrill and heartbreak that happens when we break out of our shell to do crazy, sometimes death-defying things for love.
“Love makes people crazy,” observes Maddy, the eighteen-year-old protagonist of this remarkable debut. It’s “worth everything. Everything.” Exploring the risks we'll take for love, and to protect those we've given our hearts to, Maddy’s story is utterly unforgettable. Since she was an infant, Maddy’s world has been confined to the books she devours, her devoted doctor mom and her loveable full-time nurse, Carla. For seventeen years, she’s lived with Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, or ‘bubble baby disease’, which means venturing outside could trigger fatal allergic reactions. But everything changes when a new family moves into her Californian neighbourhood, and Maddy is inexorably drawn to the enigmatic, black-clad Olly. They strike up a relationship, initially via instant messaging and then in person, when Maddy persuades Carla to allow Olly into their air-sealed house. He’s the biggest risk she's ever taken, Maddy comments. And Olly likens her to a fairy tale heroine, shut away like Rapunzel, except in Maddy’s case being rescued by a prince could kill her. But the deeper they fall in love, the more necessary it becomes for Maddy to take these risks. They share their first kiss and, “just like that, everything changes,” so much so, Maddy feels ready to risk everything to realise a lifelong dream with the person she loves.
With enriching illustrations by the author's husband, David Yoon, himself a designer and writer, this is a heartrending, sparkling jewel of a novel, and its subtly-laid twist will take your breath away. - Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Kaya B - 'Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon was a brilliant, fast-paced, read-in-one-sitting book. I thoroughly enjoyed it!'
- Izzy Read, age 14 - 'It made me want to laugh, want to cry and want to live my life out to the fullest.'
- Edel Waugh - 'It was written so well! The story really captured my heart and made me appreciate life even more as Maddie was such a gutsy female who aimed to live her best life! A very uplifting book!'
- Janet Gillard - 'I loved this book and read it in one sitting.'
- Delilah Acworth - 'Everything, Everything is a brilliant book which touches on the angst of teenage love whilst contemplating false repression. A recommendation for teenage girls with a flair for romantic imagination.'
- Farah Alam - 'This is a really great book and is a quick read. It has all the ingredients of your YA contemporary. It is perfect for anyone who loves reading coming of age novels, with romance being one of the main themes.'
- Dahabo Wacays, age 17 - 'Yoon's writing was so impeccable that I felt as though I was watching all of this fold before my eyes. I had to continuously remind myself that I was not actually there with Maddie and Olly *I wish*.'
- Kush Melwani, age 14 - 'An amazingly funny and romantic story that I recommend to Everyone, Everyone!'
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Madeline Whittier is allergic to the outside world. So allergic, in fact, that she has never left the house in all of her seventeen years. But when Olly moves in next door, and wants to talk to Maddy, tiny holes start to appear in the protective bubble her mother has built around her. Olly writes his IM address on a piece of paper, shows it at her window, and suddenly, a door opens. But does Maddy dare to step outside her comfort zone?
Browse inside this book
'This heartwarming story transcends the ordinary by exploring the hopes, dreams, and inherent risks of love in all of its forms' Kirkus Starred Review
'Everything, Everything is everything, everything - powerful, lovely, heart-wrenching, and so absorbing I devoured it in one sitting. It's a wonder. The rare novel that lifts and shatters and fills you all at once' -- Jennifer Niven, author of ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES
'This extraordinary first novel about love so strong it might kill us is too good to feel like a debut. Tender, creative, beautifully written, and with a great twist, Everything, Everything is one of the best books I've read this year' -- Jodi Picoult
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Nicola Yoon
Corgi Childrens an imprint of Random House Children's Publishers UK
3rd September 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15