Written by Lauren St. John
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
For a businessman Jonas B. Ellington is a romantic. That’s why, inspired by tales of the Old West, he comes up with the idea of The Glory, an endurance race for rider and horse that cuts through the heart of the West, from Colarado to Oregon, via Wyoming and Idaho. And he puts up a $250,000 prize too, more than enough to tempt two desperate young people to take part: Will needs money to pay for an operation for his dad; Alex is out to prove herself. Lauren St John’s horse stories are as good as any of the classics by K M Peyton or Patricia Leach and this is a marvellous adventure. Readers will fall in love with the horses, wiry, intelligent Shiraz, part Arab; and Scout, Alex’s horse, a wild palomino. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Jake Fletcher, age 14 - 'If writing a story was like baking The Glory is a cake from a Michelin star restaurant. It’s got a great narrative. The characters were brilliant. The writer is fantastic. It’s a recipe for something delicious.' Read full review >
- Destiny Maraj, age 13 - 'The Glory was a sad, nerve-wrecking, heart-warming, touching, dramatic novel! I loved every word of it!' Read full review >
- Celeste Phelan, age 13 - 'A mind boggling book full of love, adventure and excitement all piled into one race.' Read full review >
- Elle Cogan, age 11 - 'An amazing story of a 1,200 mile race, in which the main competitors are a 16 year old girl being pursued by the law, and a 16 year old boy, fighting to save a life.' Read full review >
- Eleanor Chung, age 12 - 'This book was inspiring and perfect for horse lovers.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 12 - 'It is really hard to get going but once you get into it is an alright book and I like the theme of it.' Read full review >
- Sonnie Havis, age 10 - 'As a ten year old boy I love this book and I wish other people would read it as the book is brilliant.' Read full review >
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 11 - 'I liked this book however, because I liked the characters so much, I felt I wanted to know more about them...I would recommend it to anyone.' Read full review >
- Abbie Wade age 11 - 'I started reading this book and initially enjoyed it but after a few chapters I found it to get a bit repetitive.... It may suit someone that loves reading about horses more than me.' Read full review >
Win a proof copy of Clare Baldings fantastic debut novel!
**Stop press! We have 3 shiny LIMITED EDITION gold proof copies of Clare Balding's hotly anticipated children's debut novel to give away!
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 3 November 2016. The winners will be notified by 18 November 2016.
The Glory by Lauren St. John
A Girl on the Run from the Law, Alexandra Blakewood has everything any teenager could wish for, apart from the horse she'd love, but she won't stop getting into trouble. Sent to a US boot camp, she dreams of escaping. It seems impossible until she's told about a gruelling 1,200 mile horse race across the American West...
A Boy on a Mission to Save a Life Will Greyton was the star student at his Tennessee high school until his father was laid off. Now Will works at a burger joint. When his dad falls ill, it seems things can't get any worse. An operation will save him, but there's no way to pay for it. Then Will hears about The Glory, a deadly endurance race with a $250,000 purse, open to any rider daring enough to attempt it...
'A glorious book...a thrilling, escapist triumph' The School Librarian
'The One Dollar Horse is certain to be huge favourite with readers and will bear comparison with classic horse stories by authors such as Patricia Leitch and K M Peyton.' Books for Keeps
There are many twists and turns but the plot is easy to follow and gripping, I would recommend this book for girls aged from twelve through to adult. The author has a flowing style and an art for bringing her characters to life. Newbooksmag
Lauren St John's The One Dollar Horse is rare among pony books in setting its dream-come-true story in inner-city London... Writerly, full of equestrian knowledge and rich in character - not least of the horse - this is also a tale of first love, and is a handsome package with deep pink-edged pages. -- Nicolette Jones, The Sunday Times
...one of the best characters in this thrilling rags-to-riches tale is Storm Warning. You can't help but identify with this courageous animal and St John makes you feel the thrill of what it must be like to jump over a fence on such a horse with such heart and soul. No nagging doubts, this book's a winner. -- Martin Chilton, Telegraph online
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
Lauren St. John
More books by Lauren St. John
Orion Children's Books (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Hachette Children's Group
3rd September 2015
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10