Dark Tree Shining
Written by Paula Harrison
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Dark Tree Shining is the re-release of The Wildwood Arrow (part of the Faerie Tribes series). The 3rd book in the series will be out Spring '16.
This second book in a sequence of fantastical quests continues twelve-year-old Laney’s journey of discovery and battle to rid the faerie world of a sinister new evil. In the series opener, Red Moon Rising, Laney’s life was overturned when she saw an ill-omened blood-red moon and discovered a shocking truth about her self; she’s a faerie, and member of the Mist tribe. After managing to keep the powerful Crystal Mirror from the clutches of the Shadow Faerie, Dark Tree Shining sees Laney drawn into a yet more menacing mission. She must find the Wildwood Arrow, the second of five magical Myricals that are potent repositories for the magical essence of each tribe. But, if Laney is to have a chance of success, she must learn to control her erratic powers, while also concealing her faerie identity from ordinary humans. Interwoven with a rich sense of the natural world, and perceptive portrayals of friendship, Dark Tree Shining confirms the author’s flair for crafting vividly imagined worlds and characters that readers will really relate to. - Joanne Owen
Kirsty from Nosy Crow says: “Paula has created a thoroughly believable world with great characters. These books are action-packed and exciting, but remain rooted in those all-important issues of friendship and identity that girls of this age love to read about. And imagine suddenly finding that you could fly!”
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'An exceptional book with a brilliant storyline and extraordinary characters. I knew immediately that I was going to love it and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next in the series.'
- Chloe Pickering, age 11 - 'I enjoyed this book. It is full of magic and faeries but it is not sickly sweet. It gives a different edge to the expected view of faeries. They live in tribes and face dangers of dark magic.'
- Isabel McKinnon, age 9 - 'As soon as I read the first pages the book sucked me in!'
- Evie Brooks, age 10 - 'I would give this a five star rating because the book hooked me in and dragged me through the story.'
- Beth Urquhart, age 8 - 'It is an extremely enjoyable book, but is a bit scary. I think girls who enjoyed the rainbow magic series, at a younger age, but were now older would like it.'
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'Magical, mysterious and mesmerising.'
- Emma Moulton, Yr 7 Great Torrington School - 'This is a very interesting book if you like magical stories with lots of suspense!'
- Hannah Baer, age 11 - 'the detail and excitement of the book is truly amazing.'
- Ieva Galinauskaite, age 14 - 'I really loved reading this book and finding out Laney’s secret and her secret power. I would recommend this book to a friend. I enjoyed reading Laney’s journey and learning more about her life.'
- Year 5 Book Group, Baring Primary School - 'A mystical page turner of a book. I couldn’t put it down once I started it.'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 13 - 'A magical fast paced adventure about fairies and friendship.'
- Cora Willans - 'I LOVE THIS BOOK.'
Dark Tree Shining by Paula Harrison
Laney thinks the summer's going to be boring but how wrong she is! From the moment she sees a blood-red moon, things take a turn for the magical. For Laney is a faerie, a member of the Mist Tribe, and things are about to get exciting, and mysterious, and dangerous. Laney and her faerie friends must stop an evil Shadow Faerie finding the magical objects he needs to become all-powerful.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Paula Harrison
Nosy Crow Ltd
1st October 2015
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen