School Ship Tobermory
Written by Alexander Mccall Smith
Illustrated by Iain McIntosh
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 Alexander McCall Smith has taken the ever-popular set up for a proper children’s story – group of plucky kids, no parents – and added to the scope for adventure tenfold by setting it on a tall ship. Twins Ben and Fee have grown up on a submarine because their parents are marine scientists. Now, nearly 13, it’s time they went to school and they are enrolled at a very unusual one: the School Ship Tobermory. They’ve only just begun to learn the ropes when they and their new friends spot some suspicious activity on board another ship supposedly being used in a film. The story is great fun, with some real suspense, and the descriptions of life afloat make it sound very tempting indeed: readers will agree with Ben when he decides that there’s nothing better than being at sea with friends, the empty sky above you and the wind in your hair. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Daniel Bisland age 8 & Alexander Bisland age 10 - 'We think you should CAST OFF AND SET SAIL ON THE TOBERMORY! This book was slow to start but had an exciting finish and we enjoyed it.'
- Emily Yates, age 9 - 'The most fun, informative book I have ever read!'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Lots of adventure contained in this book...I can't wait for the next book in this series.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'Ben and Fee both go to the School Ship Tobermory to learn to be sailors...I liked this book because of the descriptions which made me smile and made me use my imagination.'
- Elliot Bateman age 7 - The School Ship Tobermory was easy to read but not much happens for ages so I got fed up.'
- Edward Macklin, age 10 - 'School Ship Tobermory is an incredible book where Fee and Ben are joining the Tobermory and everything is great-except for Hardtack, Shark and Flubber, the school bullies...it is sheer perfection and deserves to win a gold medal.'
- Emily Golding, age 8 - 'I enjoyed this book because of the excitement, the joy, the fear and most of all the way the author worded it perfectly and the illustrations were also perfect.'
- Erica Motoc, age 9 - 'I very much enjoyed reading School Ship Tobermory...The setting attracts your imagination and is another reason why it makes you want to be a part of the book.'
- Beatrice Whithear, age 8 - 'I really loved reading the School Ship Tobermory, I was a bit sad when I finished it and want to read it again already.'
School Ship Tobermory by Alexander Mccall Smith
The first of a brand-new series of adventure books from the creator of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, featuring a colourful cast of characters who live on board a sailing ship based in Tobermory, a real harbour town on the Scottish island of Mull.
Follow the exploits of the children who go to a most unusual school - the sail-powered training ship Tobermory. When a film crew arrives in Tobermory Bay, Ben and Fee are invited to be extras. But their suspicions are soon aroused - is the film crew genuine, or are they up to something sinister? Ben and Fee soon discover the truth when they uncover a dastardly plan masterminded by a South American businessman...
About the Author
Alexander Mccall Smith
More books by Alexander Mccall Smith
Author's Facebook Latest
Birlinn Ltd an imprint of Birlinn General
15th October 2015
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques