Puppy Academy: Star on Stormy Mountain
Written by Gill Lewis
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Best known for her excellent animal stories for older readers, Gill Lewis turns her attention to younger readers in this new series about the new students of the Puppy Academy! Star the Border Collie is one of these, and has a lot to live up to: her mum is a champion, winner of the National Sheepdog Trials. But herding doesn’t come so easily to Star, especially when her enthusiasm gets the better of her and she finds herself running circles round (and round) the sheep. They don’t like it at all, and Star is feeling very low until an expedition up Stormy Mountain lets her prove just what she’s capable of. It’s an exciting story with lots of humour and a reassuring message for readers too about finding out what you are good at. ~ Andrea Reece
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review the first in the Puppy Academy series, Scout and the Sausage Thief. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'I give it 10/10 and recommend it to 7+ animal lovers. I can’t wait for more books. I love the illustrations!'
- Constance, age 8 - 'Make no bones about it, boys and girls who love characterful dogs will adore Scout and the Sausage Thief!!!'
- Annelie Jonsson, age 5 - 'A fun and entertaining story with a good message about false accusations. We're looking forward to another adventure.'
- Oscar Smith, age 8 - 'This book is about a puppy that wants to be a police dog! I would recommend this book to young, emerging, relatively new readers.'
- Connor Lobban, age 7 - 'Will Scout find the sausage thief? Read and find out.'
- Emelia Thomas, age 7 - 'I think everyone will love this mysterious story because Scout teaches us how to stand out and be brave ourselves.'
- Hannah, age 7 - 'It's all about dogs and I love dogs.'
- Emily, age 6 - 'The story is happy and exciting. Children who like dogs will like this book.'
- Beatrice Whithear, age 8 - 'This book is about a German Shepherd Puppy called Scout, who is in Sausage Dreams Puppy Academy. All she wants to be is a Police Dog like her Mum and Dad.'
- Rebecca, age 5 (soon to be 6) - 'I enjoyed the book because it was funny. I want to read the other books because they might be exciting too.'
- Phoenix Williams, age 7) - 'Puppy Academy is full of interesting characters. I would recommend it to younger readers and animal lovers.'
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'An easy and entertaining read.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'Lovely book about puppies who are doing training to do different types of jobs like Police Dogs and Guide Dogs.'
- Luke Killen, age 7 - 'A very funny mystery.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'A funny book with lots of adventures, so good I read it all in one day.'
Puppy Academy: Star on Stormy Mountain by Gill Lewis
Puppies to the rescue! From award-winning author Gill Lewis, Puppy Academy is a fun series introducing young readers to a team of plucky, irresistible puppies, learning their jobs as working dogs. Star wants nothing more than to be a sheepdog, just like her mum. But everyone says she's much too fast and eager, and when she fails her Level One Bo Peep badge, Star begins to worry that she'll never be good at anything at all. One dark and stormy night, a lamb goes missing on the mountain. Star races off into the blizzard to find it, but she soon discovers that the lamb isn't the only one who needs her help. A hiker has broken his leg and desperately needs her help too. Star knows she's got to do something - and fast. Can she save the injured hiker before it's too late?
'Gill Lewis has established herself as the principal contemporary writer of animal stories, combining a vet's knowledge of her subject with a novelist's capacity for character and plot.' Telegraph
'Children will delight in the adventures of the crime-busting canines' The Bookseller
About the Author
More books by Gill Lewis
Author's Facebook Latest
Oxford University Press
1st October 2015
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11