Written by Hilton Pashley
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This fast-paced fantasy extravaganza, sequel to Gabriel's Clock, sees the half-angel, half-demon hero - the only one of his kind in the entire universe – go through Heaven and Hell to reunite his family. Having sent the malicious archdemon Belial screaming back to Hell, Jonathan is desperate to find his parents. His angel father was last seen at the steps of Heaven, but he’s now lost and wounded, while his demon mother is somewhere in Hell. The arrival of Jonathan’s great-aunt Sammael Morningstar, an archangel returning from exile, whose eyes "spoke of great age and terrible sadness,” offers him hope, but a new enemy is rising. The archdemon Baal is set on spreading chaos through the universe, and only Jonathan and Sammael have the archangel wings Baal needs to succeed. Highly visual and brimming with tension, this is a high-concept, high-stake epic, and the humorous touches of English eccentricities are an additional delight. Even as chaos rages all around, sometimes the only answer is to sit down with a nice cup of tea. ~ Joanne Owen
In addition to our expert Lovereading opinion, we asked some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel to to read and review the first in this series, Gabriel's Clock. You can read their full reviews here.
- Felicity Wilcox, age 10 - 'Very good book, not for the faint hearted! But a lot of my family like it.'
- Ewan Young, age 10 - 'Lots of action and demons, I couldn't put this book down!'
- Calum Stillie, age 11 - 'This book is a meatier and cooler version of Beast Quest fans or a light read for fans of Harry Potter. I look forward to the next installment.'
- Lewis Duckworth, age 12 - 'a fantastic and sometimes funny novel. If you like fantasy and action books this is one for you.'
- Emily Passmore, age 12 - 'After I got into it, I loved this book and thought it was really, really good!!'
- Robert White, age 10 - 'This book is hilarious and action packed! Expect to see mind-blowing devils in bowler hats, talking cats, living gargoyles and a half-demon, half-angel hero.'
- Jemima, age 9 - 'There's a talking cat, friendly gargoyles, demons, were wolves, a dragon, a vicar with a pistol and a rapier, and as the cat would say... What’s not to like?'
- Benjy Randall, age 9 - 'A thrilling adventure story from start to finish.'
- Traviss Chaytors, age 10 - 'This book has it all; a talking cat, a half-angel half-demon and a werewolf. A perfect fantasy and magical world in a perfect story.'
- Sam Harper, age 9 - 'Gabriel's Clock captivated me from the very first page. I stormed through it and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. This is a truly amazing story and I absolutely loved it.'
- Lucy Minton, age 10 - 'A fantastic piece of writing which had me gripped...I was on the edge of my seat.'
- Evie Scott-Sentance, age 10 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this story – it was exciting and dramatic. Once I’d started it, I couldn’t stop! I recommend Gabriel’s Clock to everyone – it’s a great book.'
- Emma Stephenson, age 10 - 'Gabriel's Clock is a magical book that I found gripping from the first chapter...I did not think it would be as good as Harry Potter but it is.'
- Mukunth Kowsik, age 11 - 'I think that Gabriel's Clock was a stunning read; a compulsive page turner that I finished in just two days. Sometimes I was laughing and sometimes I had my heart rapidly beating.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Sammael's Wings by Hilton Pashley
Jonathan is the only half angel and half demon in the world. Having discovered his heritage, he must now continue the battle against the demonic forces that are hellbent on ruling creation. The Archdemon Baal is one such monster, and he holds Jonathan's parents captive. But to succeed, Baal needs the wings of an Archangel. Jonathan and his great-aunt Sammael are the only two such angels left, but they aren't going to give up their wings without a fight. Jonathan will not rest until his family is safe once again, even if he must go through heaven and hell to save them.
Praise for Gabriel's Clock
Fast-paced debut Julia Eccleshare, Lovereading Books of the Year 2013
An original new voice Books for Keeps
Exciting, engrossing story full of thrilling moments Primary Times
One to watch in 2014 -- Chris Bushby (Bookseller, Jarrolds) Eastern Daily Press
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Hilton Pashley
Author's Facebook Latest
Andersen Press Ltd
1st October 2015
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman